• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word Search widget - Variables?

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm creating a course with the Word Search widget, and I wanted to display a button when user finishes correctly this interaction. Is it possible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

The Word Search Interaction (widgets are not compatible with HTML5) is indeed now deprecated. As long as you are not updated, will give you some information (as can be found in one of my older posts) about that interaction.

It is a STATIC interaction, which means that you are not able to attach a score to it, that is only possible with interactive interactions (sorry about the terminology, I didn't create it). Moreover, contrary to other games (most are deprecated in 11.5.1) it doesn't even have

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure, but if you wish to continue to use the Word Search interaction make sure you don't update your edition of Adobe Captivate because the Word Search is now a deprecated feature starting with version 11.5.1.499.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Word Search Interaction (widgets are not compatible with HTML5) is indeed now deprecated. As long as you are not updated, will give you some information (as can be found in one of my older posts) about that interaction.

It is a STATIC interaction, which means that you are not able to attach a score to it, that is only possible with interactive interactions (sorry about the terminology, I didn't create it). Moreover, contrary to other games (most are deprecated in 11.5.1) it doesn't even have an associated variable. Last infor: even the variables for other games did not report if the game was played correctly, only if had been played. Only one game had the score in the variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello rht,

You can create you own widget with Javascript or Actionscript.

The look and feel of the widget in Captivate is like being back in time.

There is Javascript library that is good and easy to implement, FlexSearch.js

But the creation of the widget and search library might be too much.

Search for another alternative.

Luis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luis, please do not talk about Actionscript anymore..... Captivate output needs to be HTML5, not SWF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both Lilybiri​ and @Paul_Wilson

Do you think there's an alternative to create a Word Search interaction? Create manually, I mean.

The HTML5 Tracker didnt accuse this widget to be incompatible and I could also preview on HTML5 mode.

@LuisXIV , thank you!

I know ZERO about Javascript , but as you said, I'm looking for an alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You took the interaction from the Learning Interactions? The widgets still exist as well, and Word Search is solo amongst them. They are inserted with the Insert menu, Widget and are in a sufolder of the Gallery.

There used to be wonderful alternatives but as SWF widgets. All those developers have stopped developing widgets...

Have a nostalgic look at this old post, where I used that type of widgets:

Playtime with Audio and Widgets - Captivate blog

Lot is possible with advanced actions, I do have several games on my blog. But for this type of interaction would also turn to JS. You have to reflect if it is worthwhile the effort because it will improve the outcome of learning?

I never have used the gaming interactions because they are functional only in one (simple) language which is .... not in Dutch, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Russian and more complicated ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources