• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workaround for "Retain Text" not working in responsive projects

Contributor ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Retain Text feature of  Text Entry Boxes" does not work in responsive projects. I have tried to see if I can use a variable to record the entry made and then populate the text of the box when a user returns to it, but cannot find a way to do this. Is this possible? Otherwise I will need to come up with an alternative.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use Breakpoint views or Fluid Boxes for the project? Which exact version do you use, as mentioned under Help, About Captivate? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lieve,

Thanks for your quick reply. Sorry I should have said re version: Captivate 2019 1.5.1.499 (latest).

I am using fluid boxes rather than break points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So setting xprefTEBUpdateFromVariable to true will solve the problem. Great! I will download the latest version of CPExtra and let you know.

Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks to you both as always. CPExtra to the rescue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RodWard, thanks for sharing this link. I'm new to Captivate and have just downloaded this widget. Can someone please point me to where I update variables within Captivate? Meaning, how to change xprefTEBUpdateFromVariable to true?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bethany,

Once you have CpExtra set up to be loaded whenever you publish your HTML5 output,  all you need to do is create a new User Variable in Captivate called xprefTEBUpdateFromVariable (make sure you get the spelling and capitalisation correct) and set its default value to 1.  In Captivate variable land the numbers 0 and 1 mean False and True respectively.

Then republish to HTML5 and now check the behaviour of your Text Entry Boxes again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ron,

I'm struggling to get this to work in my course I built. If I start from scratch and test the functionality with one TEB box I can see it work. But when I add the variable xprefTEBUpdateFromVariable set to 1 to my existing file, it doesn't seems to work. In fact, it seems to mess with my master navigation and removes my back buttons when I attempt to click back. I've added a few screenshots. I'm have multiple slides that have TEBs on them, and some pull variable TEB info forward for reference. The learner needs to be able to go back and update their goal or any of their ideas. And when they finish the exercise it pulls the variable data from a select few TEBs to create a plan for them. 

Right now when you go back it's all gone. Do I need to add an additial xpExtra variable? What am I missing? Is something obviously overriding something else?Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 10.55.31 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-12 at 10.55.39 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-12 at 10.55.55 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-12 at 10.51.36 AM.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of CpExtra are you using and with what version of Adobe Captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate 2019 on a Mac and CpExtra 01-2 (?) that what the folder says. I purchased just a week or two ago. And the file was created Oct 23, 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bethany,

I am the developer of the CpExtra widget.

It seems this might be a bit of a difficult issue to debug over the forum. Would it be possible for you to reach out to us on our contact for here: https://infosemantics.com.au/contact/

After we respond to your e-mail, if you could send us through an example file then we can find the cause of this issue faster and if necessary issue you with a patched version of CpExtra which fixes the issue.

Tristan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! I just sent you an email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources