• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Access Scene Transform Recordings

Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am working on the custom body control. It works nice, but when I move both my arms the Character Animator chokes in the same way as if you use many midi knobs at the same time.

But since I can record and replay one midi input at a time it is only an issue for a live performance. So I am thinking to start recording, record left shoulder --> rewind --> record left elbow --> etc.

But if I am going to do it this way, every take will be a bit off when it comes to the timing. What would be a better way? Can I create a file or modify the recording file to make this process more smooth?

I can see something interesting in "Ch Data\temp.noindex\compiler\sources" where to poke?

TOPICS
Feature requests , How to , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, upping a bit. Maybe I did not describe what  I am looking for. Let's say we put the character on the scene --> hit record --> use midi knob to record performance.

This would generate some file with what those midi values were or something like this. Is there a way for me to access/modify this information? If I can, I can record those midi values separately and bring them back to the character animator. Is this something I can find? I don't need well documented, just general area and if it is doable or is there some proprietary thing going on.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Character animator will create a recording of values that the MIDI events got translated into (I think). Mouse, webcam, MIDI, all get normalized to a single internal format. For live recording streams of numbers (as distinct from keyframing) you cannot see or edit the values. However you can create a new recording "on top of" the old recording to override a section of the previous recording. You can also blend between the old and new recording to do a smoother transition to avoid an abrupt jump.

In terms of recording MIDI events, that won't be described anywhere in Character Animator docs. To CH, they are just MIDI events. So I am sure you can find a program that can record them and play them back later, but not sure how useful it will be in practice. I normally record a first "take" in CH, then record smaller "takes" over the top, blending the start/end if necessary (or just re-record the whole take).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks, that helps. That would allow me to simplify the process but seems like the long way it is.

My issue that I simulate midi from the program that tracks a body, so I know the midi values. But I stream elbow and shoulder values at the same time, which causes lags.

Seems like the way to solve it is to run recording and first simulate shoulder input, then elbow, etc. Hoped to just push it inside a recorded scene instead

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or slow down the rate you send midi events? Eg to 12 per second or less?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That did not quite work for me. Delays look strange. The number of times per second from one midi knob is not a problem, but there is a delay/pause between the multiple midi. Solvable, but too finicky to deal with. I can set up the record process automatically, so delay between takes should not be bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines