• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding different mouth features to the Adobe AI Template?

Engaged ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the Adobe template containing just the blank layer structure to use in Illustrator for creating puppets.

1. There were not angry or upset face options in the template that I downloaded. I can create new layers for this, though how do I get Character Animator to recognize them? How do you name them, etc.?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

There are many ways to achieve this - there is not a single way. It depends on your puppet. I mention how I normally do expressions for my puppet eyes in https://extra-ordinary.tv/2018/04/21/debugging-character-animator-eyess/​ but there is also the mouth structure.

For the mouth, I normally create a "Mouth Group" layer with children of "Mouth" (under which goes all the normal visemes), angry, grumpy, etc. I then create a swap set based on those layers. So using triggers I replace the default Lip

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many ways to achieve this - there is not a single way. It depends on your puppet. I mention how I normally do expressions for my puppet eyes in https://extra-ordinary.tv/2018/04/21/debugging-character-animator-eyess/​ but there is also the mouth structure.

For the mouth, I normally create a "Mouth Group" layer with children of "Mouth" (under which goes all the normal visemes), angry, grumpy, etc. I then create a swap set based on those layers. So using triggers I replace the default LipSync controlled "Mouth" with a particular expression. I found things don't work well if you put the extra expressions inside "Mouth" - it gets confused.

But you could instead replace the whole head for example - have completely different sets of eyes, mouth, etc for different expressions. That would also work - its just a choice of what makes more sense for your artwork. I tend to follow the above pattern just because once I got it working I repeat it over and over again. But there are certainly other ways (like replacing the entire head).

It can be useful browsing the sample puppets as well. I am not sure which has good example to be honest, but I am sure there are some useful examples in there. I would look at the available triggers for the puppets to see if there are any "expression" triggers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see in the EYES you did all the emotional expression with the EYELID TOP/BOTTOM then EYEBALL TOP/BOTTOM

I just have mine as the whole eye with the expression. Can I do this also... keep it simple since I am working in Photoshop. I may try to recreate this is AI but I have already done some much of this in PS.

Please advise.

Then how do I make this work...I am reading your post right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines