• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe products that will help me accomplish my goal...

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2019 Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may or may not be off the wall....  I am interested in making videos.  My videos would include me and cartoon characters with me.

Equipment I have- Camera, lighting, greenscreen, Adobe Photoshop cc, and hope I am allowed by saying this...I do have PowerDirector, which I am more than happy to replace with an Adobe product

I want to create characters that would interact with me...with music at times.  Movable bodies mouths the possibly lip sync to either music or different voices, etc... and then record myself against a greenscreen and then bring my characters into the mix.

Ive seen lots of videos (youtube) and here on Adobe.com, but I may just be getting info overload but I seem to be totally confused.  

Is there anyone that can see what I am looking to do and give me a direction to start?

I hope I was able to explain it some....but that is the basics.

TIA to all,

Ken

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2019 Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite a few people superimpose a cartoon from Character Animator over a video. But you can certainly put your own character into a cartoon as well, use greenscreens. It depends on the effect you are after. E.g. here is a person in a cartoon. Ep1 Nerdish Territory - YouTube   There are lots of cartoons with people (in real world) - many do that for Livestreaming on YouTube etc.

Adobe Character Animator is certainly one way to create an animated cartoon. The video above my son did all the artwork, wrote the script etc. Obviously you can do better quality!

Do you want live streaming? If so, you can stream from Character Animator. If you want to be in the video at the same time as the other character, that can get tricky with live streaming. You can do things like hook a MIDI keyboard or foot peddles up to the puppet and pre-record little sequences or actions - then just use the keyboard/peddles to trigger those recordings later.

So I would start with working out

- Do you want it live (limited) or prerecord and edit it all together (takes longer, more control)?

- Do you want to be in a cartoon world, or want a cartoon character in the real world?

- Do you have A character in mind? You can buy some puppets, or do you want your own custom artwork?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response alank99101739.  I appreciate that!   BTW: I enjoyed watching the video.

My responses:

* I haven't thought much at all about live streaming, but can certainly look into that as I progress.  But for now I want to create and upload at my leisure.

* I would have to say both.  Initially I want to record me with a green screen and place a background on the screen and add characters surrounding me.   Thing is the background could be and most time will be I am in with the characters in a cartoon atmosphere or surrounding...if that makes any sense.

* I do have characters in mind, actually maybe too many of them, lol.   Think, music bands.  

I'd love to possibly interact with you and any others in what I have in my mind and tools to do and get to where I am wanting to go..... If possible just for guidance.   Like I said I know what I want, I am not sure how to get there.

I did download Character Animator and played very little with it so far.   I am on the 7 day trial, and ufortunately 7 days will not be enough time to really evaluate because of work and other responsibilities.

Are you willing to chat with with me offline (you and anyone else) to get a grasp of what I am looking for?

I hope I am not too vague.   Looking for solutions.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I normally chat online here in the forums so others can read it too. Just take it one step at a time.

If pre-recording, that is fine. Forget streaming (for now at least).

Next you need to think about depth and interaction between yourself and the cartoon characters. You can do one of two things. The simplest is create a scene with background artwork etc all in CH (Character Animator). You then export that as a video. Then take the video of yourself on a green screen and super impose it with your video editing software of choice. If you use Adobe After Effects or Premier Pro, CH supports “dynamic linking” which makes edits in CH appear more quickly in the video editing environment (if you have a beefy machine).

The alternative is to have 3 levels of video - background (in case you need to do pans etc), yourself (with greenscreen), and cartoon characters (with transparent background).

If you just superimposed a cartoon character over a real world background, then there would have been no need for messing around with greenscreens.

In terms of effort, it is not a *small* effort to create a puppet from your own artwork. It is not huge either. For example, if you watched that video through, there were some wookies at the end. https://extra-ordinary.tv/2018/10/22/project-wookie-a-beginner-youtube-playlist/ is a series of tutorials on CH and shows how I made them from a photo. THe first puppet will take the longest, then once you have the ideas worked out you just repeat the same process for each puppet with more variations As you incorporate more advanced features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I get that.  

How about music.  I want to see about using 2 - 4 puppets to appear singing back up to a real person singing a karaoke song.

Would I need to create one puppet, set the voice and then another...in other words, one at a time?

I am looking as well to make a cartoon out of a person (photoshop hopefully) and then create the whole video from all that...

When I messed with Charater Animator...and when I was messing with the arms....The arms went behind the puppet, not in front.

Thanks again!!

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken. Character Animator and After Effects are really well suited for what you're trying to do. Depending on what exactly you're trying to do, you might be able to use just Premiere, not After Effects.

I'm not familiar with Power Director, but if it's a video editor, Character Animator should be able to interface with it without issue.

As for the "arms behind the puppet", this is probably a layer order issue. A cartoon could be playing peek-a-boo or covering a cough with their hands in front of their face, or they could be putting their hands behind their head in the classic, "relaxing in the hammock" position. Character Animator is capable of both, you just need to draw the arms both in front and behind the head and use triggers to control which ones are visible at any given time.

Dan R.

CH QA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - you add 4 separate puppets to the scene. You then take the audio file for the puppet and use that to compute the lipsync for that puppet. You can use the one audio file for all puppets - it won’t care. Multiple other people have done Music videos. That wookie series I think has timed movements (how to get the puppet moving in time to the music). https://extra-ordinary.tv/2018/08/30/music-videos-in-character-animator-part-3/

And yes, depth ordering (and getting them to play instruments) can be a little tricky at times. But the Martin demo puppet plays a guitar to give an idea of what is possible. DanR explained it, the only gotcha being if the arms are independent and you want the upper arm behind the body and the lower arm in front of the body things get... funky. But generally its just a matter of reordering layers so the arms appear before the chest artwork, or don’t use independent arms (what I often do these days).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ken,

You can definitely do what you're hoping through Character Animator.

From what I understand of your initial request you would be looking at using a combination of Adobe tools.

Illustrator or Photoshop to create the character.
Character Animator or Adobe Animate to create the cartoon.After Effects or Premiere Pro to combine real with cartoon characters.
You could also use Audition if you wanted to have additional control of your audio.

You've mentioned only having access to the 7 day trial.

A great place to learn more about what Character Animator can do is from OkaySamurai​. Specially the Puppets and FAQ.

You'll also get a good understanding of what Character Animator can do from the Tutorials on Adobe's page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines