• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are any downsides to changing FPS from 24 to 60?

Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I am currently involved in a huge project and I want to deliver the best quality possible. Until now I've created several animations using 24FPS. This is the moment I want to change the FPS from 24 to 60FPS (I've testes the 60FPS version and it looks so smooth...). Can someone tell me which are the expected downsides of this change? Thank you!

TOPICS
Camera , FAQ , Puppet movement , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

The only downside you might experience is a performance one. Time doesn't change obviously, so one second is still one second; this means you are now trying to render 2.5 times the number of frames in the same time. Also, any parameter that's based on a per/second attribute might need to be increased, which can also lead to higher render times. I often render certain sequences at 60 fps from CH when I feel the action isn't smooth enough, but 60 fps doesn't necessarily mean higher quality than 24

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only downside you might experience is a performance one. Time doesn't change obviously, so one second is still one second; this means you are now trying to render 2.5 times the number of frames in the same time. Also, any parameter that's based on a per/second attribute might need to be increased, which can also lead to higher render times. I often render certain sequences at 60 fps from CH when I feel the action isn't smooth enough, but 60 fps doesn't necessarily mean higher quality than 24 fps, it just means smoother. If that's what you're looking for, then go for it, and if things feel a little less choppy during playback of your timeline, this is likely the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have existing recordings and change the FPS, the playback speed of recordings will change too. So once you set it, you cannot change for that scene later.

So if you record things in replays, you might have problems here. They won't rescale automatically per scene.

If you are using keyframes, then 60fps should be smoother, but you might want to check the frame rate of body or face tracking via the webcam. If it can only capture data at 15fps on your hardware for example (lots of compute going on for those features!) then 60fps for those movements won't help. (I don't know how to measure it.) 

Neither are reasons not to do 60fps, just additional points to think about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for the explanation. It helps me a lot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines