Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Arm bending physics

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Faced such a problem.

When dragging the wrist, the elbow can stretch / contract (even if the arm stretch is 0)

It doesn't look pretty when the forearm gets shorter than the distance from the elbow to the wrist

TOPICS
Bugs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

33333.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One trick that sometimes works is the cut the artwork into two groups at the elbow (upper arm and lower arm) then arrange one layer above the other. No independent group needed, just organize the layers so one is above the other. Might need some fiddling and experimentation, but it gives you a bit more control. (It is not a perfect solution.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work either. I showed it on a standard mareonette so that there were no questions to mine. mine consists of different layers) attached a picture of the partsСнимок.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not good at English. So it may not be the answer you want.

1)I added the arm movements based on your PSD file.
2)I used the stick tool to add the bones.
3)I added Limb IK behaviors .
4)  I set the elasticity to 0% in the IK parameters of the limbs.

I think the arm no longer stretches and contracts.

I uploaded the puppet below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l21shib63pv20b4/edit_%D0%A1%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%BA.puppet?dl=0

An explanation video has also been uploaded to YouTube.
https://youtu.be/9nFho3G7DQI
Thank You.

stick.jpeg0per.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer

In fact, the hand changes when you pull it towards your elbow. (The arm extends disproportionately from wrist to elbow)sometimes this glitch can be used, but more often it interferes.

2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you are saying.

I don't know any more. I'm sorry.

We need the support of someone with more expertise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know, but some ideas if you want to experiment. (Fundamentally CH is 2d animation, so does not have much support for 3d effects like foreshortening.)

- I wonder if you can restrict movement near the elbow with sticks - e.g. put a very short stick from elbow a short way up the arm so the rest of the arm shrinks etc, not the bit near the joint.

- I was wondering if a small stick across the arm (like a bandage wrapped around the arm) near the elbow would help stop shrinkage of the rest of the arm reach the joint - but I suspect it would just move the stick.

- Try some short sticks along both edges of the arm near the elbow, again to try and discourage CH from stretching that area in preference to the rest of the arm

- The final fallback is to create a second arm and put it in another swapset - you draw it with shorter arms! It is sort of "lets bypass the whole problem by replacing the artwork with custom drawn artwork for the effect I want!" - this is more effort, but almost guaranteed to work. The puppet can slow down too if done too frequently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you draw what you mean? (sketch)
I will try to do what you write about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines