Arms joint & bending

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys. Perhaps there's a workaround for this and I haven't figured it out yet. I need my character's arms to bend like the picture of this red suited character, and all I'm getting is what you see on the other image. I've tried making the forearm without lines so the lines of the other arm part fill that void but...no. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 00.17.32.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-16 at 00.19.01.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018
Where you put the sticks will make a difference, but if you are after that exact effect, I suspect you will need to have the two arm segments as two separate layers - so you can use “hinge” at the elbow joint. Anything with warping at the joint won’t get that little overlapping segment. The forearm would be attached to the upper arm using an indepdent layer. I would put the forearm on top with a bit of a black line, but not all the way around the joint. i am not sure this will work, but somethin...

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where you put the sticks will make a difference, but if you are after that exact effect, I suspect you will need to have the two arm segments as two separate layers - so you can use “hinge” at the elbow joint. Anything with warping at the joint won’t get that little overlapping segment.

The forearm would be attached to the upper arm using an indepdent layer. I would put the forearm on top with a bit of a black line, but not all the way around the joint. i am not sure this will work, but something like the following.

Here are the two arm segments (in different colors for clarity).

DA76E64D-5203-4D36-AFCC-566F04869FC6.png

When they overlap, you see some of the forearm black line over the underneath layer.

C12BE7A3-BF60-437E-97F4-35469F6B0E5E.png

it might take some experimentation to get it right. But i think two independent layers will be required to avoid warping,

However, careful placement of sticks will reduce the distortion you are seeing,

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Respect my good Sir!

I was already trying with separate arm parts but couldn't find the way, but touching the sticks and the HINGE did the trick. Now I'm getting this results. Much much better.

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 08.32.31.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-16 at 08.32.36.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, guys!

i had the same issue and was glad to find this thread, but i was not able to pull up this on my project.

I tried on my current project, with several animation already done and was could not make it work . I separated my arm in arm/forearm, set as independent movement and hinge an only produced glitches. I tried several combinations of parenting/handle, etc. and nothing...

I decided to start a new puppet just for that and also couldn't make it work, my shoulder is a little distorted, but my forearm follow my elbow, but does not connect to my hand, it's always horizontal... if any of you guys still has that project and could help me i would appreciate a lot.

Thanks in advance!  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2018 Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!! Thank you!!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines