• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Artwork seems to warp when turning head - which behaviour is causing this?

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have created a puppet from photographs, currently he has a front and left and right quarter set, however when I turn between these the art almost rubberbands a second after the action. Never had this with previous puppets - wondering what is causing it. Video attached to show what I mean.

TOPICS
Bugs , How to , Puppet movement , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird! I would suggest turning the yellow mesh of triangles on and watch the mesh during those funny spots. Is the whole mesh moving? Is it moving equally or is there one spot moving? Sometimes it can help locate the cause. Watching it, it looks like it is not the full head scaling, but rather just the face area. That makes me think of properties that have smoothing or snapping defined. E.g. the nose and parallex is kicking in, with a delay due to smoothing settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've attached a video with the mesh - I'm not really sure how to diagnose it though. I agree with what you're saying about the smoothing delay simply because the timing seems to be consistent - but I can't find the particular setting otherwise I'd set it to 0!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you look carefully, you can see sections of the mesh that do not stretch, and a part that does. E.g. frontal face view does not have hair that moves down above the face, but the side view has the top of the hair move as well sideways. So the front view and side view both move - but different parts of the face. Strange.

What I often do is export the puppet, import it again (so you have a complete copy), then start deleting parts of the face (eyes, nose, mouth, etc) one by one, test, (undo sometimes), try again - see if can work out if a specific part is causing the problem. Start deleting behaviors one by one as well. The goal is only to narrow down which behavior or part of the puppet is the cause of the movement. Basically try and get the smallest puppet definition possible that still has the problem - then experiment with the property settings of what you have left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines