• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Beta 6 crash when opening a scene

Explorer ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just installed beta 6 and it crashes every time I open it. I have a webcam attached and it creates a new project file each time I try to do anything. PS opens with the puppet but then CH crashes. I have tried to follow this thread but can't find out where appdata is ... it is very frustrating not to be able to use CH now!

TOPICS
Bugs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Hi, I think I've stumbled across the solution!! I was wondering what the little mic and circle where on the bottom RHS of the viewer and after looking into it saw that it was to do with the nvidia geforce experience app (which I only use to update the driver). Anyway, it was annoying me so I disabled sharing in the app, restarted to CH to see if the icons had gone away and CH started and ran without issue!

Hope this is helpful for you debugging work and now I'm looking forward to playing with bet

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(I moved this into a separate thread just in case it's different than Character Animator Start up Crash 4-27-17  )

Are you on Mac or Windows?

I'm assuming Beta 5 was working fine before?

If you are on Windows, you can get to appdata by opening a Windows Explorer window, typing the following into the address bar:

%APPDATA%\Adobe\Character Animator\Beta

then pressing Enter. Then, you can copy that AppPrefs.xml file from that other thread into that folder location to see if that'll help.

If you are on Mac, navigate to /Users/<yourusername>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Character Animator/Beta

One way to get to the user Library folder is to open a Finder window, then while holding down the Option key choose Go > Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am windows 10 64, i7, 64G, GTX980 and beta 5 was working just fine.

I have copied the file across and I still get a crash when I select the walking robot or any other template although the template opens in PS. I have downloaded evans.puppet and so opened up a new empty project and then imported evans into the project but I get a crash when I try and select it or I try and add it to a new scene.

Any more help would be welcome.

I will try restarting my machine and if it works I'll let you know.

A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have copied the file across and I still get a crash...

Ok, it sounds like this probably may not be purely camera related.

My bet if the camera being off lets you get further but  opening a puppet or scene blows up is that this is somehow related to Character Animator talking to your graphics card. Both of those workspaces have panels that use OpenGL, which makes them sensitive to video card hardware/driver issues.

I'm not sure yet what would have changed from Beta 5 to 6 on that front, but I'm hoping a crash dump will provide further clues to figure out what's going wrong.

DT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(reworded this thread's title as it sounds like a crash when opening a scene, not launching the app)

Creating a dump file as Dan describes could help isolate what might be happening.

Another thing to test is if you relaunch Character while holding down the Shift key (so that no scenes/puppets are opened by default), create a new scene (Scene > New Scene), then double-click it to open it, does it also crash? (i.e., is it crashing even without any puppet in a scene?)

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opened it up without anything in it and created a new empty scene without any problem. However, when I went over to click on other buttons such as 'Start'  or Rig - the crash happens. I think I have the latest driver for my 980 as I updated it this week I think.

Hope this helps

A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I just took a look at the crash dump you sent. It isn't obviously in the midst of a crash. The main thread is running code that it usually does when the app loses focus (which is expected since you had to switch to Task Manager).

The only other threads I found doing anything interesting (many of the threads are just sitting waiting for work to do) were in the middle of creating an OpenGL drawing context which supports the hypothesis that this is somehow related to the video driver. In particular, the call is DrvValidateVersion in an NVIDIA DLL (nvoglv64).

Given I don't see a crash (an exception being thrown or other error reporting call being made), it is possible this operation is just taking longer than usual* and if you wait a bit it'll recover and hopefully not need to take this long in the future (a one time driver update hiccup). It's also possible that the driver install didn't fully take and that's why it is choking on this version validation call.

That's my best guess.

Thanks -- DT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing to try... in the Start or Rig workspace, open the Scene panel but just have it behind the other panel (Welcome or Rig). After that, when switching from Start or Rig to Record, are you still getting a crash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I think I've stumbled across the solution!! I was wondering what the little mic and circle where on the bottom RHS of the viewer and after looking into it saw that it was to do with the nvidia geforce experience app (which I only use to update the driver). Anyway, it was annoying me so I disabled sharing in the app, restarted to CH to see if the icons had gone away and CH started and ran without issue!

Hope this is helpful for you debugging work and now I'm looking forward to playing with beta 6 - keep up the good work.

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that tip... I have a GeForce system at home, and I do skip the GeForce Experience stuff, but will try that out to see if I can repro. I'll also contact NVIDIA to let them know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the GeForce Experience v3.6.0.74 on a GeForce GTX 960M (latest driver 382.05), and didn't see those little icons by default, even with the default Share enabled. I had to enable Instant Replay to get those icons to appear in CH, and even then all I got was a "Camera busy" message in the Camera & Microphone panel...because the Instant Replay feature was using the camera to show it next to those small icons. I never got a crash.

What version of GeForce Experience are you running? If not v3.6.0.74, and you're willing to try that version, does it make a difference?

I never used GeForce Experience before, and just kept my driver updated manually via the NVIDIA Settings tray icon. Not automatic, but I didn't need another application, especially since I didn't have a need to keep drivers updated for games.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've made a short screen capture video (without sound) showing Geforce experience and what it does to crash CH Dropbox - Geforec Experience Problem.mp4 I use default settings for this and - no - I don't need to use it as I don't have any games either, but it is an easy way to keep up to date with the latest drivers! I could easily do without it but you may come across this issue with other people so worth seeing I guess?

Without sharing activated, CH works perfectly normally.

Hope this helps

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that screencast, Andrew. I thought it was crashing immediately when opening a scene, so I didn't try switching workspaces. I'll try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can repro when switching from Record to Rig, and have forwarded the issue to NVIDIA. Thanks again for reporting this to us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching that off solved it for me. I have a GTX 1060.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it's a workaround for now. NVIDIA is aware of the issue and is investigating it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is on WIndows, correct? (assuming so since you refer to trying to find appdata) Also, I take it by the word "now" at the end that you used Beta 5 with the same configuration without trouble?

can't find out where appdata is ...

Pasting this path into a file explorer window should navigate to the Ch folder:

%APPDATA%\Adobe\Character Animator\Beta

A crash dump could be really helpful, though the steps here Collecting User-Mode Dumps (Windows) are pretty technical and regedit is not very user friendly. I could probably come up with an easier recipe if that'd help.

Another option would be:

1. Let Ch crash, but do not dismiss the crash dialog

2. Open task manager (right click in the task bar and select Task Manager from the menu)

3. Right click on Character Animator in the list of applications.

4. Choose "Create dump file".

5. Zip up the dump file and send me a link in a private message.

Note a dump created this way is bigger than the mini dumps that can be configured with user mode dumps options, crashes on startup usually aren't too huge and may compress enough to be relatively easy to send.

Hopefully we can gather enough clues to help get you back in business with Beta 6.

Dan Tull

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all... NVIDIA has fixed the issue with the overlay. I couldn't repro anymore with GeForce Experience version 3.7.0.81. If this issue was blocking you, please let us know if the issue is still a problem, and we can inform NVIDIA. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines