• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I create a character and lip sync it with pre-recorded video?

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm a complete beginner on Character Animator and have a couple of questions. 

First, as above - can I create a character and lip sync it with a pre-recorded video and voice?

Second, if I want to create a character with a likeness of a real person, from a photo or video etc, does CA have any tricks to do this or help achieve this, without me having to design a character from scratch?   Is it even possible to put a photograph of a face on a character and it then animates somehow?

Thanks

(btw I have asked Adobe online chat for help but it's been terrible - they either don't respond at all, don't understand anything I ask them, or ignore everything I write and send me links to tutorials that aren't anything to do with what I asked! Anyone else have this trouble?)

TOPICS
How to , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! 

You can have a pre-recorded audio track, but not video. You have to do that live. This generally is less of an issue since anyone else can mimic body movements and smiling. You don't really need the original person to do the video stuff. The audio however does matter and is supported.

Have a look at "characterizer" - i have not used it much, but it is designed around using your photos as the basis for a character. Otherwise i suggest having a look at "project wookie" which i produced a few years back to convert a photo into a puppet (of a toy wookie). The first few episodes might get you going in the right direction. https://extra-ordinary.tv/2018/10/22/project-wookie-a-beginner-youtube-playlist/. there are other good resources too - i just remember this one since i created it lol!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thank you.  So on Q1, you say you have to do it live. What if I held up the video up to the "live" screen camera - would it regard the pre-recorded video as "live" and then I achieve what I'm trying to do. For Q2: is "characterizer" part of CA or another app somewhere? Thanks for the wookie link, I'll take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to use the webcam, you have to do it live (of find a virtual web cam that works with CH (!!) that and load from a video file - not all cameras work with CH). I just found that live video from an actor is just not that important with CH. Video in CH is *only* used for head turns, slight body movements, smiles, and surprised expressions. Capturing the video of an actor is just not that important in CH. Voice on the other hand is really important as you hear the original in the final video.

Yes, you could probably hold up the camera and point it at a video. Not knowing what you are trying to do, it just does not seem worth the effort. If you want to live stream a remote person with body and voice in sync, then it may be worth looking at virtual camera solutions to send video over a network connection (like the NDI tools support). You might be able to create a virtual camera that CH can watch as a video stream.

But you have to remember that if you want hand movements etc as well, that won't come from the video stream. You need key strokes for "triggers", and draggers (mouse) to move hands around etc. So you can go to a lot of work to only solve part of the problem with video streaming.

Characterizer is a feature of CH, yes. Its another way to create a puppet. I think its on the home page (where the list of sample puppets is). Sorry, not near a computer to check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks very much, I'll give it all a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines