• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can someone help guide me towards how to set my puppets up? Think i've over-complicated things...

Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to CA and am trying to rig up 2 characters that I have created various sets of clothing etc for in an attempt to have everything in 1 place with the possibility of different combinations, and without too much duplication.

However, i'm not sure if i've shot myself in the foot because i'm struggling to rig them up and I can't find any examples of what i'm trying to do.

Can someone take a look and tell me what the best way to approach this is? Not sure if it would be better to choose a selection of costumes and strip out all the other artwork, then rig each one individually (although this could turn out to be incredibly time consuming).

I've attached the puppet which i started to rig up to try and get a walk animation working on (left only at the moment). If it's possible it would be great if i could keep it all in 1 thing so i don't have to create a load more puppets.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wxlo0soHCNtOLBuwKHYSPs2IOhC16rft/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

TOPICS
Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Hi there,

you can set up swap sets for outfits by making each outfit a layer inside the body part group (eg. torso layer would open into the different outfit artwork for torso, Right leg opens into the different outfit artwork for right leg) See Outfit setup photo.
When you create your outfit swapset remember to put in each part of the outfit (see Outfit swap setup photo)
If you do it this way you only have to rig up as normal and trigger the outfit changes.
I hope that makes sense!

cheers,

Cherie

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

you can set up swap sets for outfits by making each outfit a layer inside the body part group (eg. torso layer would open into the different outfit artwork for torso, Right leg opens into the different outfit artwork for right leg) See Outfit setup photo.
When you create your outfit swapset remember to put in each part of the outfit (see Outfit swap setup photo)
If you do it this way you only have to rig up as normal and trigger the outfit changes.
I hope that makes sense!

cheers,

Cherie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply! I've been messing around with the art etc but I think it might be better if i create a load of separate puppets due to each lower body artwork being really difficult to get to look "ok" when walking. Putting them all into a single leg group means I have less control over how each one distorts if they're all rigged up together unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I played around with your puppet a bit the other day to see if I could get the outfits working for you. I used motion library for the walk instead of Walk behavior. You should be able to switch outfits by clicking the assigned key. Tops and pants can change separately. Hopefully you can download it!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fYWLMqvmo2QqNQMw-93BBATw3nFO6hW-/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah that's awesome, thanks for having a play with it. I don't have Motion Library so i'm guessing i'll have to update as I haven't for a while. I'll have a look tomorrow. 

I was thinking it might be a good idea to split everything up like you suggested though and make the parts shareable that I can have in whatever the scene requires, as each costume will need tweaking to get the animations looking right as it manipulates the art. Plus with them in the same puppet i think it's getting confused - one costume will work ok, but one in a layer below it won't unless i move that to the top. That's what i'm battling with at the moment 😛 Does Motion Library not have these issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Motion Library looked pretty good without too much deforming. Some of the pants had issues (the shorts for eg, you would want to put the shorts leg on the leg and the rest on the torso Currently the shorts are part of the torso only so they don't move with the legs. The long pants look fine.). I think if you refined the artwork a bit having all the outfits on the same puppet would work pretty nicely)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, i'll look forward to trying it later after work, thanks! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, i'm all updated now. Motion library movement looks really weird, the body is tilted if i don't set the orientation sideways, but i'll need to have my puppets walk on the spot as the scene moves with them. The arms are doing some crazy stuff as well even when i set the orientation. Is there a setting or something else i'm not considering?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aah, the treadmill setting. Still got weird arms but i'll have a play when i can and see what i can do because now i've got all these options i can't see myself not using them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The waist tag will change the tilt of the body, you can move it around until it looks good. Also play around with the orientation setting, that can change the look dramatically!
Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exciting! I'm looking forward to actually start animating, been creating art and rigging for months now 😛 Thanks again for your help, the puppet you edited is a really useful template to reference, I think i'll be ok from here (at least until the next big hurdle, haha)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines