• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't edit puppet in photoshop

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be a stupid question because I am relatively new to Adobe. I'm working through some of the Character Animate tutorials (I'm specifically on Getting Started in Adobe Character Animator) and the tutorial says to click on the PS in the left control pannel under the puppet and scene project pannel. However, when I do this nothing happens. I've tried already having photoshop open after I click the button and I've also tried thye CTRL+E shortcut but still nothing happens. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Help?

TOPICS
Bugs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Aside from Control E or Edit>Edit Original, you can also go to Rig mode.... select your Puppet in the Project panel, and then on the right hand side in the Properties panel you should see a blue link to the Photoshop file (.psd).

Or you can try quitting it opening the project again

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
mark

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using control-e is a short cut for edit original from the file menu. Sometimes the binding of the .psd file can be taken over by another app, causing problems. Reinstalling photoshop has solved the problem for some people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi i know this is old but i am having this problem, when i do this adobe illustrator shows up , even when in press clearly parked ps files. if i try to open .puppet in photoshop i get an error message that says ive selected the wrong type of file. it just started doing this. i tried to install/ unintall and a few other things but no solutin yet... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm, when you open the puppet in AI, everything looks correct and it is ready for editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to open a .puppet file? If so, you need to "import" that into Character Animator. A .puppet file contains artwork and rigging. Once inside Character Animator, use "Edit Original" from the menu to open the artwork file and edit it. .puppet files allow you to move a puppet from one Ch project to another via export and import in the menus, you don't normally edit them directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from Control E or Edit>Edit Original, you can also go to Rig mode.... select your Puppet in the Project panel, and then on the right hand side in the Properties panel you should see a blue link to the Photoshop file (.psd).

Or you can try quitting it opening the project again

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Mark_headTrix. The blue link was what got me to where I needed to be. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome! Happy I was able to help!

have fun animating!

cheers,

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem. This worked for me (Windows 11):

1.) Close all Adobe programs you have open.

2.) Type in 'Default apps' in the Windows search bar.

3.) In the Default apps settings scroll down to the bottom and click the related settings 'Choose defaults by file type'.

4.) In the search bar that says Search for file type, enter the file type '.psd'.

5.) Click the link for the .psd file type and select the Default app to be your version of Adobe Photoshop (Note: if it doesn't appear in the avaliable list of apps then click 'More apps')

Once you have done this you may want to do the same for '.psdc' file types if not already set by default, then reopen Adobe Character Animator and click the PS control in the Projects pannel and it should work. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! @Parker5E89 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines