Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Keyboard Control Eye Gaze In Side Views

Explorer ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have three views in this puppet: Right, center and left. I gave every view its own eye gaze behavior, since it doesn't work with one in the root level (not with tagging of the views as the respective views and not without). It also works on another puppet I have. But on this one the eye gaze behavior just only works on the frontal view. Maybe I am not seeing something. I tried deleting the walk behaviors, that I also have on the side views and since that is also controlled by the arrow keys, I thought that might be a good idea. But that didn't do anything. The behavior actually also doesn't work with the cam input. In the rigging panel it is showing me, that it is recognizing all the tags similar to the properly functioning frontal view.

Does anyone know a solution to this? Thanks.

Here's the puppet:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/809r9wkq3g25513/stb.puppet?dl=0

TOPICS
Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that the walking controls are pre-empting the eye controls in this case, even without walking being functional. It would be useful to be able to assign those functions to different keys, but that's something for the tech guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I thought too. But even after removing the walk behaviors completely, it won't work. But I agree, I would like an option to change the keybeinds for eyegaze and walk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The puppet you uploaded still had walk behavior, so I'm not sure if CH is simply dead set on using the cursor keys for that even when there is no need. Certainly a question for the tech experts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I normally stick with one behavior for eye gaze... although what you are doing should work too. If you want to stick with one Eye Gaze behavior, rename "left", "right", and "frontal" with "Left Profile", "Right Profile", and "Frontal Profile" so they get auto-tagged. Your left and right layers don't have the "Left Profile" and "Right Profile" tags on them. Frontal should have the "Frontal Profile" on it too.

To see if you have that step correct, expand say the "Eye Gaze" behavior and expand the "Views" section for the behavior in the properties panel. It should show "4" (the first is <root>, then stb/right, stb/left, stb/frontal). If you expand the Handles section just under it, you should wee "Head" with a count of 3 layers that it bound to (expand Head to see which layers it found). The Left Pupil, Right Eye, etc should all have the number 3 next to them too.

What happens is many behaviors understand profiles, so when you have a profile selected, the appropriate head and then eyes/pupils/range/etc are picked up for the current profile. No need to add multiple behaviors.

For you eyes, I think the left and right profiles are not set up quite right in the riggin hierarchy. Normally I would have "Left Eye" (where you have "Eyeset Left") and under that "Left Blink", "Left Pupil" and "Left Eyeball". The blink should be under the eye layer. Blink will hide all other siblings when a blink occurs. It seems to be latching on to .../left/head/eyeset left/eye left/eye left" (expand the views and handles sessions of the eye gaze and face behaviors). As a result, it did not pick up on the pupil range layer (the Eyeball layer).

I hope that makes sense

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hej, thanks for looking into it. I think I tried that approach and it didn't work. That's wh I had multiple behaviors. But I will take a look at it again. Maybe I made a mistake somewhere on the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines