• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Transform controls be assigned to specific layers?

Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a character I'm working on who has a bunch of dials on him, and rather than frame by frame rotating them I thought it would be cool to just record spinning them with the Rotation control, the problem I'm having though is the control spins the whole puppet and I can't see any way to assign it to one of the dial layers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Any behavior can be added to any group -- but not usually to individual layers. But an individual layer can be put into its own group.

To add a transport control, click on the group in the Rig panel, and then go to the behavior dropdown on the right and choose that behavior. Be aware that with same multiple behaviors in a puppet, care is needed to deactivate all except the ones needed for a specific recording take.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any behavior can be added to any group -- but not usually to individual layers. But an individual layer can be put into its own group.

To add a transport control, click on the group in the Rig panel, and then go to the behavior dropdown on the right and choose that behavior. Be aware that with same multiple behaviors in a puppet, care is needed to deactivate all except the ones needed for a specific recording take.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome it works Thanks for taking the time to explain that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

I might add, however, that it might be easier to automate rotation or any transform behavior in After Effects than in Character Animator. It is much easier to set up and control that kind of motion in Ae with keyframes. Just drag the Ch scene into Ae, and you can still make other changes in Ch that Ae will see via dynamic link.

The only thing is that the spinning part of the dial would have to be in a separate scene all by itself. I think. I'm going to try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines