• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you move the Scene Properties from Scene to Puppet?

Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2020-03-24 at 11.14.52 am.pngScreenshot 2020-03-24 at 11.16.36 am.png

Not a major change

TOPICS
Feature requests

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a feature request? If so, this is a user-to-user forum, but you can file feature requests here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911317-character-animator

Can you explain more about what you're looking for, though, because this would be a major change and the properties you're asking to move don't belong in or relate to the puppet at all. Before you file a feature request let's figure out what you want to change and why then that will help you file the most detailed feature request possible. I can tell you right now that this isn't enough informaion for the CH team to understand what you're looking to change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the logic of adding properties to a puppet, but not from removing them from a scene. A scene contains multiple puppets. It controls the final render resolution. It does not make sense moving them to puppets as a scene might have 5 puppets in it - which resolution etc to use then?

Why I think it would make sense being in puppet as well is there are cycle layers and replays (with movements) that assume a particular frame rate. Changing fps will mess up their timing. So having a puppet remember the fps it was recorded at could be useful to use in a scene with a different fps, to scale things so they play at the same real time speed (instead of today where changing the fps changes the playback rate).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a good idea. Adobe?

*I followed the link to give feedback, and realize this post isn't necessary. How do I delete this reply? Don't see an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay in replying!

The Scene Properties seems to be there when they are not needed.

If I'm in Rig Mode and then click Scene in Project Panel, the Scene Properties show. I then have to double click Scene in Project Panel again, or click on Puppet in Timeline.

It's not a major problem, just anoying, or I should say it is to me.

Surely the scene properties are adjusted at the begining and unlikely need changing? So couldn't you just put a link in the Scene dropdown menu?

Then which ever way to get into the Scene, you would only see the Recording options; Puppet Track Behaviors. There would be no need to click, or double anything else?

This is just a minor thing, but I've always thought that the CA team strives to keep, for the user, a simple, clean and intuitive interface.

CA is a brilliant program and getting better all the time. I appreciate that the workings are extremely complex and to produce a program that is complex, but simple to use, is a mammoth task. But... Simplicity comes from the genius of those that control the seemingly  unfathomable and not by those that make the simple complex.

I love my car; I can get it, turn that, push this and check the other. Simple and everyone that drives knows the same, but I haven't got a clue what goes on underneath!

As an end user

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. To me, this is simple and out of the way because you only ever see it when nothing else is selected. I know the Character Animator team strives to avoid modal dialogs (ones that pop up and stop you from interacting with the rest of the UI) wherever possible, so this design fits right within that ethos. 

And while I don't often change my scene settings, I do like having them quickly available because sometimes I will adjust them on the fly, especially if I have a comp with just a character or two in a non-standard size, rather than a 1920x1080 final scene. There are other ways to adjust the duration too, but it's also very handy to have that parameter a click away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi davidarbor and thank you for your reply.

This is what is good about forums, people can voice their opinions and all opinions are of value!

I certainly understand what you are saying.

I suppose what we need is more opinions and the then hopefully like minded opinions will guide the way.

Familiarity is important to consider; I know with my phone, I just seem to get used to it and along comes another update... which often leave you wondering, Why?

CA is a great app and just keeps getting better!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! But don't forget, these are user-to-user forums, and while some Character Animator team members do occasionally  pop in here, the best way to get your requests in front of the team for actual consideration is to file a UserVoice request from the link in my first reply. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi David,

I think I have sorted my thing with the Scene Settings Panel.

My problem was; basically, I didn't know what to click, double click, or select!

I think it's good to have varying ways to do the same thing, but think it's better when you settle on the way that best suit the individual and stick with it.

This is my way...

In the Project Panel:
Double Click the Puppet for Rig Mode.
Double Click the Scene for Record Mode.

To view the main Scene Settings:

Click Scene, in the Project Panel; once only and I can do this in Rig and Record Mode.

To view Main Settings for Puppet:
In Puppet Panel
Click the very top item; the Puppet's Name.

It works for me, and I don't go drifting around, thinking... How do I do that?

This is the same for all things, I guess?

Please stay safe everyone and keep well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines