• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you setup Characterizer from a video?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I love the new Characterizer feature.

My question or request is: can you setup a character from a video?

For exemple, I would like to transform a video performance of someone I interviewed into a character puppet.

Or I want to create a Michael Jackson puppet from various pictures of Michael Jackson where he is smiling, frowning, talking etc,etc...

Does that make sense?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's your answer: Character Animator Tips & Tricks (October 2016) - YouTube

(I think)

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip.

But I was referring to the new feature that rolled out today with Adobe Charater Animator 2.0

It's named "Characterizer"... It allows you to create a puppet directly taking features from your face in front of the webcam...

In case you are not familiar with it: Characterizer (Adobe Character Animator Tutorial) - YouTube

My question is can you feed Characterizer with a video instead of having to sit in front of the webcam yourself

There is a manual mode but I don't understand how it works...

Is that it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm aware of the update and the new Characterizer function. On the video I shared Dave explains how to work an animation with a pre-recorded video. I thought it was just the same case with Characterizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pedro. I forgot that video in fact. Although, it was not exactly what I was asking for, it is a possible second phase in the work flow... After creating the puppet with Characterizer, you can apply the video performance to the puppet...

However, my question was more about the puppet setup part, not the performance part...

But the more i look at it, the more I am getting convince that a little tweak and combination between the manual mode and the image mode should be what I am asking for...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another use for this possible feature: What if you want to apply the "stylization" option to an already existing puppet, designed without using the webcam and the characterizer system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried and I think you can't =(

The only 2 options I can see are to upload just a single PNG or JPG file (not even an Animated GIF which was my original idea) or to use the camera and do it live.

The thing is, Characterizer was made to animate (and give life) to a still and not something that already has it's own animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep.

I think it should a faily simple feature.

Instead of feeding Characterizer the webcam for the manual mode, it could be giving  the option to feed Characterizer with pictures

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case useful, can you split it into two phases? Can you use Characterizer to create a puppet, then use the video feed inside a scene with the puppet in to control the character face? (I remember talk of a “virtual webcam” which appears as a WebCam in CH, but you can feed a video file into it.).

That is Characterizer is not for making a puppet follow what a character does - its only for building puppets. Use the rest of CH for creating scenes as per normal after you have built the puppet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

That was exactly what PedroMaccarone​ suggested.

He even found the Tips video for that: Character Animator Tips & Tricks (October 2016) - YouTube

But, it looks like I have trouble making myself clear.

I am talking about building the puppet phase.

But in the actual state, Characterizer offers 3 way of doing it:

1. Automatic Webcam where you sit in front of the camera and follow the instructions
  2. Manual Webcam where you sit in front of the camera and follow the instructions (but instructions are more detailed and numerous)
  3. Image where you submit one single image

I am suggesting that Characterizer should offer a fourth option which is:

• Manual multiple images where you can enter several images or photos following the same instructions than with Manual Webcam but instead of having to be yourself, it can be for example
    • Pictures of a puppet you already created (so that you can apply the styles offered by Characterizer)
    • Photos / Screenshots of a celebrity you want to puppetize

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be a nice feature. Perhaps you can post your idea here:

Character Animator: Hot (98 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

That is the section where they consider community ideas for future updates of the App.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ok.

I thought it was here.

Gonna do that immediately

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done.

Here is the link if you want to upvote the idea Manual Multiple Images Option for Characterizer – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good feature request, thank you.

In the meantime, with a lot of extra work, it can be done manually:

1. use the More Options > Select an Image... option on the Characterizer home page to supply one of the frames
  2. pick the style you want
  3. Generate Puppet
  4. repeat at step 1 for each frame
  5. gather all of the generated PSD files (in the Ch Media folder, or double-click each puppet and do Edit > Edit Original...) in Photoshop
  6. combine the relevant layers into a single PSD
  7. import into Ch and rig it

It might also be possible using the Make Shareable command on the individual mouth layers (instead of combining in PS) and then combining them into one puppet, but I think it would get too messy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I was thinking crazy thoughts - like time the delays CH takes per picture then use Premier Pro (or now Rush?) to create a video and play that back at just the right time via a virtual camera! Easy! But it got rather funky when you needed a puppet to say “Photoshop” and “Lighthouse” splicing the right mouth positions synced up with audio. I know Adobe is popular, but not sure how often celebrities go around saying “Photoshop” and “Lighthouse” in public...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alank99101739​ With the manual mode, you don't have to say "Photoshop" or "lighthouse". You  have to provide every viseme mouth shape. You can absolutely find a screenshot of a celebrity saying "Ah", "Woo" etc,etc... So it could work... How do you setup a virtual camera?

CoSA_DaveS I am glad the feature request sounds logical to you... Looking forward to see it included soon... CH rocks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never set one up myself - some other people talked about it in the forums. Doing a Google search I found posts like windows - Webcam driver that uses an image or video file as the video source - Super User  - old, but “manycam” sounded familiar. I also came across http://vlc2vcam.com/. But I have not tried any of them myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot man...

Very helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have used the ManyCam app as a camera source in CH 1.5 to animate the puppet from a prerecorded video. That was easy to set up -- I just installed the app, played the video, and CH saw it. Haven't tried it in CH 2.0, but assume it would work the same. Off hand I don't see a way to use it in Characterizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines