• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you turn a Character Animator clip into a gif?

New Here ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So a bit new to this program.

I'm wondering, is there a way to make an animation I made in Character animator into a loop able gif within Character Animator, or would I need to take the clip to a different program to do this?

I have a friend with a streaming channel who'd like me to make a looping gif of their mascot on screen during their streams and I'm wondering if I can use Character Animator to do this.

Thanks@

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a scene in character animator, export a video via media encoder (It will say mp4), then when media encoder comes up change the video format to animated gif as the output format, then kick off the render Job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do it, the gif comes with a black background. Is there a way to export the video without any background? Transparent 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GIF files do not support transparency, so if you want a video file with transparency, you need to pick a format that supports transparency (most do not). I search for "alpha" in the media encoder - the alpha channel is the level of transparency, so any encoder with "alpha" in the name I would expect to support transparency.  (You can also use "export media with transparency" from the menu. But it will be a video file of some format.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the 8-bit GIF format does support transparency. I am not certain if Media Encoder supports that or not, but you can always import the video into Photoshop and export it as a GIF, making sure to check the transparency box when outputting. Look for more details on the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tryed Photoshop, but my pc doesn't have enough ram for that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Learn something new every day!

(Reading some more I see 8-bit GIF supports a transparent "color", not alpha channels - so one color from the pallet of 256 colors can be made transparent.  Its not an "alpha channel" (which supports levels of transluency), just transparent or a color.)

I doubt if Media encoder supports it - I cannot see any settings for 8-bit GIF, especially for animation. I think most people would not like the reduced quality. However, if you exported as a "PNG image sequence" (with transparency), I bet there are online tools that could convert it to an animated 8-bit GIF with transparency if you *really* wanted it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines