• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Character Animator CC 2018 crashes when opening a specific scene

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I really hope someone has the answer for this because is driving me crazy, and I have a deadline on monday

I have a file with several scenes (12 exactly) that was created in the previous version (beta 6), but now when I try to make some changes to it there's a couple of scenes that cause the program to crash when I try to open them in the timeline. All the other ones are fine and load perfectly.

There's no error message, it just freezes until shutting down on its own or until I force quit the program.

When opening the program again and loading the file I get this message saying that the file is already open, and I shouldn't open it again unless the program crashed recently with that file.

More info (don't know if relevant or not):

- The puppets were made in photoshop.

- Each scene is about 10 secs long, just one is over 30secs (but that one loads fine).

- There's no triggers or animation other than the lipsync and the face capture.

- System: Win10 64Bit - Intel(R) Core i7-4700MQ @2.40GHz - 12 GB Ram - Nvidia GTX 770M.

Has anyone experienced the same, or has a clue about what to do?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. Sorry to hear you're having this issue. I guess the first thing I'd be curious about is whether the process shows up as busy (actively using the CPU) in Task Manager while it is stuck or not?

One cause is that the scene is more complex and thus takes more preparation time to load so Ch is just hung. We have some details to sort out to keep our UI thread responsive while this is happening and since Windows reporting makes it hard to see the difference between a hang and crash, it's hard to tell if this is what is going on.

Another possibility is that the scene really does cause a crash due to something peculiar required for loading and rendering it.

If it really is crashing the process (even if you don't force quit), a memory dump might help diagnose what is going on.

Collecting User-Mode Dumps (Windows)

If it is actually just being unresponsive for an extended period (if you watch the disk/CPU activity of the process in task manager, it'll keep being active if this is the case), I'd be interested to know what happens if you wait it out.

Another option that doesn't involve registry editing is to right click on the Character Animator.exe process in Task manager and save a full memory dump. Those are bigger and harder to transfer around, but can also be more informative.

DT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julperado,

I have a file with several scenes (12 exactly) that was created in the previous version (beta 6), but now when I try to make some changes to it there's a couple of scenes that cause the program to crash when I try to open them in the timeline. All the other ones are fine and load perfectly.

Very sorry to hear that. I hope you were able to solve your issue. If not, may I suggest that you complete the work in the previous versions with these problematic scenes. Sometimes updating project files across major versions can cause certain unexpected behavior.

I would also ask you to please also file a bug on this issue so that the team can take a closer look at the issue, however, that functionality is currently out of order. Let me see to that.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, with an NVIDIA GeForce GPU, do you have the GeForce Experience software installed? If so, try disabling sharing (or the sharing overlay icons that appear above OpenGL content) in the GeForce Experience software to see if that makes a difference. You can also try updating to the latest qualified GeForce Experience software or GeForce drivers to see if that might make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines