• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Character Animator CC2018 Relentless Crashing

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Character Animator CC2018 on my Windows 10 operating system.

Every file that I try to open from the beta Character Animator crashes immediately upon opening. So I tried to rebuild that file from scratch using my .AI character and it also crashes CH2018 immediately.

I hope that this gets resolved very soon, my client is waiting for their animation . eeek.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going completely crazy, too. I have some arm movement swaps that took me the last day and a half to figure out the layering, but then when I start adding the triggers, it crashes...usually just as I'm about to add the last one. And then I can't open the file and have to start over. I've done this three times now. Here's what it said on the last Error Message:

Unable to read image file.

Error code: (changeNotifier.js:49)

Error code: (engine.js:1312)

Error code: (bootstrap.js:3)

The error code is almost identical each time. I have a project to get done in a couple of days and I'm feeling a lot of pressure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you comfortable making a registry tweak? If so, if you can enable mini dumps (mini dumps are a lot smaller and easier to send, albeit less detailed) repro the crash and send me the dump file, I can try to understand what is going wrong.

Collecting User-Mode Dumps (Windows)

If registry editing makes you edgy, you can also right click in Task Manager when the app is crashed (and has the dialog up so it isn't closed yet) and choose the option to save a dump file. However, that's a full dump, so it'll be a lot bigger.

Thanks -- DT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve never done anything like that. I’ll check the link you sent and see how comfortable I am with it. At the moment, I’m adding a couple of behaviors and then shutting the program. I opened and closed it about six or seven times after I posted on the forum and managed to get the rigging done without another crash.

Is there a way to save a backup copy of a rigged puppet? Starting from scratch over and over gets really old.

Thanks!

Judy

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to save a backup copy of a rigged puppet?

The project should be saved even if the app crashes (saving is completely automatic), though it may not remember the name of the project to open on a relaunch since it may not have written the preferences that tell it which project was last open without quitting cleanly. If you look in the location where you saved your project or the default location where projects are placed (Documents\Adobe\Character Animator) your project should still be there someplace.

You can also export a puppet file by right clicking on the puppet in the project panel and choosing the "Export Puppet..." option. This bundles up the artwork and all rigging into a file that can be imported into another project.

DT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a crash, I did try opening the file with my file name but it couldn't

read it. I'll definitely export a copy before I start working on it this

morning.

I also checked the registry tweak you suggested. I don't have the skillset

to do that, so I'll check out the Task Manager and have that info available

if I need it.

I just want to say that I love Character Animator. It's set me in a

direction I never would have expected, especially at my age, 71. Thank you.

Judy

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=icon>

Virus-free.

www.avast.com

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=link>

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

heart4travel  wrote

After a crash, I did try opening the file with my file name but it couldn't

read it. I'll definitely export a copy before I start working on it this

morning.

Yikes. If you have a Character Animator project that won't open after a crash, I'd be interested in looking at that (and/or knowing the precise error message you see when you try) as well.

heart4travel  wrote

I just want to say that I love Character Animator. It's set me in a

direction I never would have expected, especially at my age, 71. Thank you.

Aw, I'm so glad to hear that! It makes our day when we hear from customers that are able to do things they couldn't/didn't before with Character Animator. That's its reason for existing.

Here's hoping with a bit more sleuthing we can get Character Animator working better for you again!

DT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i been having the a issue with a file i created. it worked a while back but now it wont open the file i made at all.  it get to the preparing puppet and then crashes. I unable to even import the puppet.  i can open the puppet and edit it in AI but i am just unable to do anything in Character animator.  Sample files with CH work fine. I am assuming it has something to do with my file. any help would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want to post the puppet (or send a download link to me privately) I can try to reproduce the issue and see if I can figure out what's going wrong.

Dan Tull

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of tests to narrow this down further: do the sample puppets from the Start page cause a crash? (either the Illustrator ones or the Photoshop ones)? If not, it might be good if you could send me your Illustrator file (or a project where you've rigged it far enough to hit the crash) so I can see if it crashes for me as well. We do have at least one other report of an Illustrator file causing a crash in 1.1 that wasn't failing in Beta 6.

Thanks! -- DT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried the sample puppets. I created my puppet in PS not

Illustrator.

I forgot to mention that in a couple of the crashes I'd get a blue graphic

that said something went wrong and then it would restart my computer. I'm

going to be working on other aspects of my project, so I might not get back

to my puppet for a day or two. I am going to export a copy of the puppet to

somewhere else on my computer. Do you want me to get a copy to you?

Judy

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=icon>

Virus-free.

www.avast.com

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=link>

<#m_3681790536649127489_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

heart4travel  wrote

I haven't tried the sample puppets. I created my puppet in PS not

Illustrator.

Oh, sorry, when I read "using my .AI character" I took it to mean an Adobe Illustrator file.

heart4travel  wrote

I forgot to mention that in a couple of the crashes I'd get a blue graphic

that said something went wrong and then it would restart my computer.

Something like this: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/blue-screen-death-windows-10 ?

If Ch can cause an error that forces the computer to restart, it would suggest a lower level problem. Given what Character Animator does, my bet is that your video driver has a bug and maybe updating it to the latest version would make it more stable.

It could also be related to drivers for your webcam or microphone, but since you're focused on rigging right now, my bet is on the video driver because that is used to render either the scene or the panel that shows your puppet in the Rig workspace.

If that's the case, I probably won't be able to reproduce on my end, but another customer that was getting frequent crashes in 1.1 got back to good by updating their video driver, so I'm hoping that might be the issue you have as well.

DT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll definitely check the video driver. And when I said Illustrator, I

meant AI, too. ☺

Judy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did update my video driver...and a couple of other important things. I'm hoping that will help once I get back to working on my puppet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other small complaint...when creating triggers, I can't rename them.

I've clicked on the name in every variation I can think of. Like I said,

it's small but frustrating.

Judy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select the trigger (or swap set) name in the Triggers panel, then press Enter, it doesn't allow you to rename it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, one of those little things. I think the video on the latest changes

says to right click on the name. I never tried hitting Enter...which does

work. Thank you!

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 3:50 AM, Jeff Almasol <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah updating all my drivers seemed to have done the trick. Im more astonished that updating was not the first thing I did once all the crashes started. I appreciate your help. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines