Character Triggers for Twitch (and others) via IFTTT?

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the Character triggers for Twitch have been disabled due to updates from Twitch.  As I understand the problem, every time Twitch updates its service, the integration breaks.  Anyway, I was wondering if Character Animator could be integrated with IFTTT (IF This Then That).  It's mostly used for smart home integration, but it is compatable with parts of Twitch's livestreams (typically to change colors of room lighting on a webcam or something).  Anyway, if Character Animator could let us set up triggers via IFTTT integration, we could make our own rules for Twitch integration... or make our puppet wave hello when we start our smart dish washer... not sure why, but there are a lot of opportunities for creatives to use the software in fun ways with IFTTT.

The other benefit from a development standpoint is that Twitch maintains their integration with IFTTT, it's not up to the Character Animator team to maintain integration with Twitch.  I don't know what requirements IFTTT has for its partners, but it'd be a really neat to see happen.

"Be Excellent to Each Other." William Preston Esquire & Theodore Logan
TOPICS
Feature requests

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the problem is IFTTT is a cloud service and CH runs on your local computer. How to get them to connect to each other?

I am sure it is possible, just not sure how easy. E.g. you could write a program that you run on your computer that generates MIDI events. It then listens for IFTTT events (somehow!!), and generates the MIDI event on the local computer. (You cannot get the cloud to reach into your home network, something in your network needs to reach out to some cloud service. This is for security.)

That is, I don't think you need Character Animator to implement a feature (I doubt it would be high on their priority list). I think instead having a separate little program to control CH via midi events would be the way to go. That is for something external to trigger CH to do something.

If you are trying to get triggers inside CH to trigger IFTTT events, that is a different question. I cannot think of any way to do that today. But you could again write a program to *listen* for MIDI events and send them to IFTTT, so both CH and some external system could respond to the same MIDI event.

Why MIDI? Because it is the only external "API" I know of to control CH at the moment. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, I'm definately only wondering if CH could be a "That," not a "This."    I'm becoming a huge fan of this software, but those features are so far beyond what CH is designed to do that I feel silly for even considering what could be done with that.

Thanks for the feedback.  Creating software triggers for midi events is giving me something to think about.

"Be Excellent to Each Other." William Preston Esquire & Theodore Logan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines