Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Charactor Animator- Puppet moves randomly while walkcycle

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community!

I am new to Character Animator, and I tried adding a walk cycle to my puppet. Every time I want to move my puppet with the arrow-keys to see the walk cycle, it jumps randomly around ( also bends whole character to one side) When I scrub through the timeline the character looks normal, but when I stop, it jumps around.

You can see better what I mean in this video: https://we.tl/t-rqtCMryCxC

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!

Sophie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the puppet is armed, during playback it will show the default position for movements if not playing. Once playing it will show the recorded values. While scrubbing it kinda does the same. That can explain why it is jumping between being on angle to being straight in jerky ways - if the default is different to the recording.

I suspect the difference is due to whether the walk behavior is engaged or not. The walk behavior effectively takes over draggers on different points on the body to make the legs move, head bob up and down etc. The position of the handles will change the posture and body movements. So my suggestion is to try moving the handles a bit - e.g. do you have a Head and Neck Handle? Are they close to each other?

I don’t know why yours is doing what it is doing, but that is what I would be exploring. I don’t understand why the character is leaning backwards when not walking. The jumping I think is the normal behavior of showing defaults vs the current recorded value, but why the values are different I don’t know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your answer.

I tagged the head handle also as my neck and moved it to the position of the neck.

so it is normal that the whole body moves a little bit down while walking? because when my puppet stops, it bounces up a little bit.

Strangely the leaning backwards stoped after I restarted Character Animator, but it comes back after a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am not an expert in walk, but I have seen that on other puppets too. You may be able to control it with position of neck and head etc tags. If you solve it, please leave a note here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines