• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Couple of questions: head movement & dangle

Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey friendlies,

I've nearly finished my first puppet I just have a couple of issues. The first is I can't get the head to move like in the Chloe puppet for example, and the head just stays fixed in line with the body of my character as I move back and forth. I've tried moving the head tag thing to the base of the chin like on Chloe but doesn't seem to make any difference.

The other issue I'm having is with the dangle behavior. My character has a cloak on, and I would like the very bottom of the cloak to dangle but not the whole thing. I tried doing just the part I want to dangle on separate layers, but it created obvious tearing (for lack of a better word). So then I tried applying Dangle to the whole coat, and experimenting with the Pin and Stick tools to see if they would help section off just the bottom of the coat to be effected by the dangle but more or less ended up just creating more strange problems.

The base of the character body has two fixed points so the character doesn't spin when I move, but with the dangle applied to the coat the coat then flies off the body as I move side to side. The Pin tools sort of helped but then the coat started separating at the neck of the character.

Hope these descriptions of my problems help answer these questions :3

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Hi James!

Is your head inside its OWN folder separate from the Body? and both of those folders are INSIDE the +MyPuppet folder?

For the Dangle if you are using photoshop you can use the lasso tool on your cloak layer and select around the parts that you would like to dangle, the press Control X(Command X on mac) to cut and then choose Edit>Paste Special> Paste into Place.

Now your cloak should LOOK the same, but the layer you are going to dangle will be on a separate layer. Then you can mess around

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James!

Is your head inside its OWN folder separate from the Body? and both of those folders are INSIDE the +MyPuppet folder?

For the Dangle if you are using photoshop you can use the lasso tool on your cloak layer and select around the parts that you would like to dangle, the press Control X(Command X on mac) to cut and then choose Edit>Paste Special> Paste into Place.

Now your cloak should LOOK the same, but the layer you are going to dangle will be on a separate layer. Then you can mess around with the Physics properties to increase the gravity strength, direction, etc.

Hope that makes sense!

cheers!

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Mark, the problem with the head movement was indeed folder hierarchy. I had it all right except I forgot to put everything inside a +mycharacter folder and that seems to have solved the problem

As for the dangle, what you suggested was what I first attempted and it didn't work but for some reason after trying again just now it is working haha.

Cheers for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are welcome James! I'm so glad I was able to help and that it all worked out! Super fun huh!?

Thanks for your nice reply!

I think you can mark this as Answered, not sure if there is a button for that? If not I guess a moderator will.

cheers!
mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done

It really is a blast seeing a Photoshop PSD come to life so effortlessly.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes it is great.. makes me feel like a little kid again! Have you used Timeline>Computer Lip Sync from Scene Audio ...

wow.... create or import sound and as long as you have all the mouth movements --- it works in ONE click!

Happy Birthday from Dr. Laura - Created with Character Animator - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have! It's so cool and I'm glad it's in there. It's my preference to do the voice acting first and everything else kind of comes later from that. Here's the puppet I've been working on and I used this exact feature with a little bit of manual touch up

lip sync - YouTube

For lols here's another character I'm working on too, this one I learned how to do the eyes on. Coarse language warning.. haha eye tests - YouTube

Your drawing skills are awesome, good job! Mine are kind of weird amalgamations of photos and stuff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

looks great! you are very good ash creating the mouth movements, very creative, both are very well done. Thanks for your comments, but I can't take credit, not my art... I just did a fast job, cutting it all up, rigging, and animating it since I had the audio.

Also loved the smoke! I guess you laid it over another video in Pr or Ae? cool stuff, thanks for sharing!

love it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! That's right it's some trickery with layer masks in Premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines