Ctrl-E and Edit Original Dropdown Not working

Contributor ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm all updated to CC2019.  I cannot get Ch to open my puppet in Photoshop CC2019. I can't find a setting in Preferences, etc.
Anyone else experience this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018
I don’t know how to fix it, but I did a reinstall and it worked afterwards... But you had the “always use this program” checkbox ticked. If you leave that ticked then double click on the file again, does the dialog box still come up asking you to pick which program? That is what triggered me to reinstall Photoshop (into a different directory) and that did clear the problem for me.I don’t think removing and reinstalling Photoshop will hurt anything if you are willing to experiment. Depends on how...

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there have been a few reports. I hit it myself as well. Dan Tull reported that it works by executing a “shell” command to launch the editor based on the file extension. I believe that means it behaves the same as double clicking on a file - which also uses the file extension to pick the software to launch.

My problem was I installed the latest release under D:\Adobe to free up my C drive. However double clicking a file in Windows Explorer no longer worked. I never looked up the exact rules, but I uninstalled Photoshop, set the default location under C:\Program Files, and tried again and it worked. It seems to be a Windows 10 feature to only allow file extensions to be installed in particular directories (maybe!).

Bottom line is if you cannot double click on a file extension to bring up Photoshop/Illustrator, then CTRL-E won’t work either. Reinstalling Photoshop in a more standard location solved that problem for me, then CTRL-E started working when I restarted CH.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always let Adobe install to whatever default drive and folder.  It seems to always put all the Adobe apps in the same ADOBE folder in "Program Files".
I don't know how to do the "shell" thing ... but I guess it'll be fixed in a near update.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you double click directly on the psd file does it open photoshop. Oh, I am on Windows by the way - not sure what Mac does.

ctrl-e is working for me, so I would not assume they will fix it unless they get reports of it not working. The other cases got resolved or no further info was provided, so I am not sure if officially received as a bug yet.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that I have to make the file reference connection every time .... thanks for forcing me to pay attention.  So, the problem is
Perhaps PhotoshopPS Issue.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for help alank.  Should I download Ps again and install?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t know how to fix it, but I did a reinstall and it worked afterwards... But you had the “always use this program” checkbox ticked. If you leave that ticked then double click on the file again, does the dialog box still come up asking you to pick which program? That is what triggered me to reinstall Photoshop (into a different directory) and that did clear the problem for me.

I don’t think removing and reinstalling Photoshop will hurt anything if you are willing to experiment. Depends on how important CTRL-E is for you. All I can say is that is what I did (plus installing in a more standard location) and it helped me! Let me know if it helps you as well - good to keep track of solutions here as well.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the same on my laptop. I will reinstall both today and will let you know

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling and then reinstalling Photoshop CC did the trick. Thanks for the help.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you change the install directory? Or just uninstall and reinstall? The latter would indicate the order of installing applications may matter - e.g. install Photoshop last because some other Adobe app is messing up the association of PSD files With Photoshop etc.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did just the reinstall, and Ps put everything in the same "Program Files" folder.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines