• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dangle effects don't look the same when imported into After Effects (via Adobe Dynamic Link)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reading first of all.

I've got a very simple puppet here with one working, draggable arm, and a rattlesnake dangling off of it.  When I put the link into After Effects as an Adobe Dynamic link, however, the rattlesnake doesn't dangle the same way (stiffer, less wobble, gravity etc.), and it takes away from the whole look. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 10.55.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 10.56.05 AM.png

  

I'm wondering if I should just give up on the Dynamic link and try a different export>import option (I imagine that might solve it), but was hoping to see if this is something anyone has been able to troubleshoot before.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Dynamic link , Puppet movement

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you record the shaking motion of the arm and snake in the timeline of your recording?

If the motion is recorded correctly in CharacterAnimator, it will be reproduced in After Effects.

The dangle won't work unless you record the shaking motion.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the basic amateur method of just clicking the draggable wrist and shaking it around for the whole take. The snake is in the same group as the arm, but the dangle and origin are on the snake group seperately (within the arm group).  Would that not be sufficient enough?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 1.45.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 1.45.29 PM.png

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:  Changing it to an alpha video file didn't help, and unfortunately I fiddled with too many variables that I can't pinpoint which one was the most successful.  It still doesn't behave the same way as it does in Character animator, but the solution seems to have been adding several dangle handles down the body of the snake instead of just the one at tail rattle ( I ended up removing that one also) and keeping the origin the same.

Still wondering if there's a reason why Character animator physics behave differently when linked to AE though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert Japanese to English with translation software.
I'm not good at English.
You may not understand your answer correctly.

In my environment
The integration between Character Animator and After Effects was successful.
Please watch the reference video.
thank you.

https://youtu.be/VR9XVBgqseI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me (and I enjoyed your performance).  May I see your rig for that test puppet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Ch project file link in Dropbox
Please feel free to download it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mb7iw0mhpuoi5oc/dangle.zip?dl=0

file name

dangle.zip

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be worth exporting a video clip from Ch if you really want to understand the cause. My guess is it will look the same as dynamic link. Playback mode inside Ch is an approximation of the final encode (for speed reasons), especially for physics. Dynamic link would have to do a final render. That *might* be why they look different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it look different when you playback Character Animator from the beginning? That should match export and Dynamic Link. If you let the scene sit on a frame, the physics engine will be running many times on that same frame, so you'll end up with the snake hanging straight up and down where AE will only show you a single frame. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dan! In the distant past I was told playback is not identical to export renders as playback takes shortcuts to stay real-time. (Exports take longer as they take more care to do things "right".) Is this still the case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines