• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

difference between Leader / Follower vs Magnet

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help understanding the difference between "Leader & Follower" vs "Magnet" behavior. Because I can imagine either one being used if I want to have a game enemy follow my character automatically. 

Scenario  -  if I have a character move by movement of my mouse dragging on the screen, can the 'enemy' or a secondary independent shape move automatically and follow my character around, using either the "leader & follower" or "magnet"?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

"Leader/Follower" is a rigging component to define the exact attachment of one layer to another. In many other animation tools, this is called a "parent constraint" which is powerful for connecting pieces not in the parent-child relations in the layer hierarchy. Other than for Auto-Swap to drive multiple body layers, here are examples:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am watching the Preview "Auto-Swap" tutorial and also the Magnet tutorial, and it feels like magnet is the one I want, I just don't know what are the pros and cons of using leader/follower vs magnet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Leader/Follower" is a rigging component to define the exact attachment of one layer to another. In many other animation tools, this is called a "parent constraint" which is powerful for connecting pieces not in the parent-child relations in the layer hierarchy. Other than for Auto-Swap to drive multiple body layers, here are examples:

"Magnet" is more of a physics-like animation system. Differences between "Magnet" and "Leader/Follower":

• Magnets only trigger when two or more magnets come close to some threshold during animations
  • Magnets attach to any other magnets coming close - no control over which ones to trigger or not
  • Magnets have the strength control to soften the effect

Heather on the home screen holding an orb is a good example to try out.

As for your use case, while I feel neither Leader/Follower nor Magnet is good to make one character follow another, there may be creative ways to make use of them for your purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, much clearer now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines