• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Layer structure matter for Body / Limbs?

Contributor ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

I have a puppet with two views "+Front" and "+Right Quarter".

Within each are the "Head" and "+Body" layers.

In the Front view puppet, the "Right Arm" is within the "+Body" layer.

However, in the Right Quarter view, I had to put the "Right Arm" within the "+Body"/"+Torso" layer (the Torso is a Group within the Body). I had to do this to keep the order of layers such that they overlap correctly. I have attached a screen grab of the "Right Quarter" layers.

Will these two different structural hierarchies cause a problem in CA?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards,

Rajnesh

========

Screen Grab of "Right Quarter" Layers:

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 7.57.31 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018
  • Sometimes the hierarchy matters, sometimes it does not, so there is not a blanket answer. For example, taking a layer and putting it in a group generally won’t have much effect. You just have to work out a combination that statifies all your needs.

Examples

• The order of layers, as you point out, matters for depth arrangement. That is more top to bottom in PhotoShop/Illustrator rather than depth in the hierarchy. But sometimes you have to change the hierarchy to achieve what you need. An example of

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Sometimes the hierarchy matters, sometimes it does not, so there is not a blanket answer. For example, taking a layer and putting it in a group generally won’t have much effect. You just have to work out a combination that statifies all your needs.

Examples

• The order of layers, as you point out, matters for depth arrangement. That is more top to bottom in PhotoShop/Illustrator rather than depth in the hierarchy. But sometimes you have to change the hierarchy to achieve what you need. An example of this is rear long hair that goes behind the body. If the head is independent and in front of the body, but you want long hair behind the body, you often create a separate top level group so you have Head, Body, Rear Hair - otherwise the rear hair won’t go behind the body.
  • The hierarchy structure matters if you want to limit the scope of some behaviors.
  • Dependence matters as well - the layers with and without their “+” symbol. Sometimes the layer structure does not matter uuntil you hit an indepdentce layer (one with a leading “+”). If you have a few dependent layers with a tree structure, they are all considered as one node by CH

Arm positions generally don’t matter that much - that is, the arm will generally keep working. The but the structure does matter if the layers move and you care about how the arm moves. But profile layer positions matter more. Eye structure layers can matter a lot. Mouth positions matter.

I am not sure if that is useful - in this case “it depends”. It can matter, but does not always matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, very much, Alan (Not sure if that's your name... apologies).

That was very useful info, and I'll experiment with the items you've written about.

Take care.

Rajnesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines