Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicate Puppet, keeping rigging, behaviors and replays

Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am creating multiple puppets for a scene, with each puppet following the same formatting and have similar appearance. I have created the first puppet in Photoshop, imported into Character Animator and completed all the rigging, triggers, behaviors and replays. 

I would rather not go through the same lenghy process for my future puppets for this scene, since they will have identical rigging, behaviors, triggers and replays.

Is there a way for me to duplicate that puppet (with its rigging, triggers, behaviors, etc...), and have newly created puppets map to their own duplicate photoshop files? 

This would allow me to have multiple identical puppets, each mappped to their own photoshop files. Then I can edit each individual photoshop files to make the puppets' appearance unique while each puppet maintains the same behaviors, rigging, triggers and replays.

Is this possible?

Thank you

TOPICS
How to , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best approach I know of is to export the puppet to a .puppet file (in menus) then import the puppet file back into the same project. This makes a copy of rigging and artwork. Then if you edit original you will update the copy of the artwork file. 

Try it it with one puppet first to make sure replays etc are copied correctly. But duplicate in menus won’t be enough as it does not copy the artwork file (it’s shared)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

Do you know of a way to manually map a puppet to a different artwork?

Because once i export a puppet and import that duplicate puppet, I would love to be able to manually map that new puppet to a a duplicate artwork. Or is this a feature request?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The goal would be to "Deep Duplicate" a puppet. So from CH duplicate a Puppet, and have it also make a puppet(copy).psd. That way we can go back and do "Season Two" of the puppet without destroying old comps in case we have to go back and do retakes from "Season One"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Current solution is to duplicate CH Project File, Duplicate Source PSD, then rename old source PSD to Source(SeasonOne).psd in case you need to switch back to it to re-render old puppets/riggings; Ones that would break on the new PSD. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines