Dynamic Links Require Long Render in Premiere

Engaged ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just trying to find out if this is because of the age of my Mac (specs below). I would like to bring my Character Animator scenes into Premiere and play them at full speed as quickly as possible; I'd even give up preview resolution. But they always seem to require a long, slow render before they'll play well at all. Is there a sequence setting that would be more native to the files I'm importing that would make them play nicer, faster?

Martin

Early 2009 Nehalem MacPro4,1, 2 X 2.6 GHz Quad-Core

OS 10.11.6

Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB system drive

32 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 4870 GRFX Card

Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K, Driver: 10.8.2

Adobe Premiere Pro CC 018, v. 12, Build 224

Adobe Media Encoder CC 2017.1.2, Build 11.1.2.35

Adobe Character Animator CC 2018 v.1.1.1

Avid Media Composer v. 8.6.1

Views

545

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I now render each CH scene into a H.264 (MP4) file then load that MP4 file into Premier Pro.  It requires me to do everything in CH (camera pans, backgrounds, etc). But I find it much faster overall. I then add title dubs, background music etc in Premier Pro.  I also do any AE scenes (for special magic) the same way - I use dynamic linking to get the puppets into AE and in sync, then export a MP4 file to load into Premier Pro.

You can export PNG sequences - the only way other than dynamic linking if you want transparencies to work (that I know of!).  For my laptop, PNG is faster than dynamic linking. But exporting a MP4 file plays full speed in Premier Pro, so while I have to manually re-export the MP4 files, overall it gave me the best experience.

But this is what I do personally - I know a lot of people use dynamic linking instead. I just found it too slow on my hardware.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for responding. I was hoping dynamic linking would speed things up, but I think you're right about speed. I did find (partially through other kind members of this forum) that I could send the puppet to Media Encoder and then export with a codec that offered an alpha channel. So far I've just tried cineform. This gave me a relatively quick encode that looks good and has a complete alpha.

Martin

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cool! I had not discovered that encoder before!  "QuickTime" / "GoPro CineForm RGB 12-bit with alpha" is what I tried (and it worked).  220MB .MOV file instead of 27MB .mp4 file, but it was a movie file with transparency intact!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines