Error opening project: repo.noindex

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My charactor animator project file has all of a sudden stopped opening and comes up with the following error:

"Unable to open project “/Volumes/GoogleDrive/Shared drives/......../Ch Data/repo.noindex/”. If it is located on a server, copy it to a local drive and open it from there."

Copying to a local drive does not appear to resolve the issue and I have been working off files on google drive for about a year now so it is unusual for there to suddenly be an error now.

Does anyone have a solution for this? 

TOPICS
Bugs , Crash , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Character Animator are you using? Operating system version?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(since we got this sorted out via a private message, this extra info is just in case it is useful to others)

I think GoogleDrive may use virtualization to avoid needing to store all your files locally, which could cause our project data store to get confused (especially the old one that uses SQLite under the hood). It doesn't always do it and new files probably get kept local, so it might not happen right away.

Also, for what it is worth, the local/server part is a guess and there's unfortunately a bunch of different error conditions that might cause this same message. It is possible that the change occurred due to there being more files in your Google Drive so some of the files were made offline now. It's hard to say for sure without a bit more sleuthing.

If copying it aside doesn't make the error go away, though, it is a pretty good bet something in the project is damaged. I can probably take a look (especially at the Ch Data/repo.noindex folder contents) and see what might be going wrong.

Thanks,

Dan Tull

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One more thing worth noting. The project was recoverable in this case and was a 3.5 project.

The 4.0 and later versions of Character Animator use a completely new file format for new projects that is much more robust. Since it released, I've only seen 2 cases of a project being damaged in the wild and both were trivially repairable. Also, the bug that causeed them was in 3rd party code which only kicks in when disk writes start failing and it's since been removed, so those cases shouldn't happen, either. There's an automatic repair for cases of OS crashes, power outages, and external drive disconnections (in these rare cases, the last few bytes of the project can be invalid, but it's easy to just delete those bytes and keep going). The only case I know of that can irreparably damage a project with the new format involves media failure (where previously stored data is corrupted after it was written), so it should be incredibly rare now. I even tried abusively trying to cause corruption by editing a project in a network sync folder (CC Files, Dropbox, et al) on two different machines and the worst thing that ever happened is that I wound up with two "rope" (the internal main project database) files for the two versions of the project. Both were valid and openable, so I call that a win. (I still don't recommend concurrent editing, but its not actively dangerous in the way it once was)

The number of requests for fixing projects has collapsed to effectively zero for 4.0 projects (projects from earlier versions run through "Save As" in 4.0 updates the project to the new format).

Dan Tull

P.S. If you Google for my name and Lightroom, you'll know I have a long history fixing SQLite based project formats, so my joy at finally eradicating project corruption for this app cannot be overstated.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines