• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eyelid animations are warping my puppets pupils?

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After following the instructions on this very helpful post I was able to make eyelid animations work for my starter puppet. (How do you get Eyelids to animate for squinting and blinking? ). I've noticed that my puppets pupils warp as the eyes are closing but I would rather they stay the same size under the mask.

Bonus question: Is it possible to have eye lashes on a blinking puppet? It seems that without a blink layer, my fully closed eyes just disappear completely.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Eyes are one of the most complex parts of puppets - there are quite a few options. I wrote up a blog post that may be worth reading through: https://extra-ordinary.tv/2018/04/21/debugging-character-animator-eyess/

Eyes warping is usually because something has not been marked “independent”. There is also a “blink” layer you can use instead of eye warping, which can be combined with a cycle layers behavior for nice animated effects. You can certainly draw on eye lashes.

Character Animator does not

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eyes are one of the most complex parts of puppets - there are quite a few options. I wrote up a blog post that may be worth reading through: https://extra-ordinary.tv/2018/04/21/debugging-character-animator-eyess/

Eyes warping is usually because something has not been marked “independent”. There is also a “blink” layer you can use instead of eye warping, which can be combined with a cycle layers behavior for nice animated effects. You can certainly draw on eye lashes.

Character Animator does not understand what the pictures are - it just moves things relative to each other as you instruct it. Because most puppets are humans/animals, they name things with standard human body part names - but the software itself does not care what they are really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you control the pupils with the mouse, you can at least squint inwards. Just place the mouse between the eyes and the pupils will follow the mouse pointer.

For closed eyes with eyelashes I've always used an extra graphic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines