Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eyelids outside of face on profile view

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm trying to rig up on of my characters and am having trouble with the eyelids. I'd like to be able to have the ability to animate them slowly, so i've rigged it up with draggable.

The problem is on my profile views, my characters eyeballs are outside of the face a little. I've made the top one a weird shape which I can clear but the face curves in more sharply underneath meaning I can't think of a way to do it without dragging very carefully at a weird angle (attached a screenshot of how it is like this), which could be difficult and a bit tedious to do accurately. Another solution is keyframe animation (i think it's called) but this will give me less flexibility and probably wouldn't be as smooth.

Is there an easier solution to this that I haven't considered?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Ah, i've worked it out. In case anyone else comes looking for this solution - in my case the problem was I couldn't use a mask the way i had it set up because I needed the pupils to go outside the eye whites but still be hidden. If you have the pupil and something the size of the visible eye as the clipping mask group and move the eyeball range (which you tag with Right/Left Eye) under this so it's not part of the clipping group, it will work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you seen this video from @oksamurai on basic eye rigging? It might have a solution you haven't thought of. (93) Basic Eye Rigging (Adobe Character Animator Tutorial) - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I saw it before, great video! I'm actually in the process of redesigning my artwork thanks to this, but unfortunately it doesn't cover the issue i'm having where the eye position causes the eyelid to be outside of the face.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, i've worked it out. In case anyone else comes looking for this solution - in my case the problem was I couldn't use a mask the way i had it set up because I needed the pupils to go outside the eye whites but still be hidden. If you have the pupil and something the size of the visible eye as the clipping mask group and move the eyeball range (which you tag with Right/Left Eye) under this so it's not part of the clipping group, it will work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines