• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Face Stretching While In Walk/Run Cycle

Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to get my character's face to stop stretching during a walking/running cycle. The head and neck are tagged in the same place at the base of the Head layer. The Walk behavior is placed on the parent character, and all handles have exactly 1 tag. There are no issues listed in the Rigging Issues panel. The screenshots show how the face looks normally, and then how it looks when stretched long, and when stretched short. Any ideas on how I can fix this so his face maintains its shape as the head bobs up and down during the walk cycle?

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

i normally suggest the neck handle to go at base of the neck and the head to go between the chin and mouth. I have seen quite a few having problems using the same handle for both.

To stop the head warping I have two alternative approaches. 

1. Put sticks along the jaw line (two sticks angled along both edges of the face), meeting at the chin. The idea is to reduce warping from the neck affecting the head as much. Sticks are useful for this - it reduces bending, so the neck will flex instead of t

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i normally suggest the neck handle to go at base of the neck and the head to go between the chin and mouth. I have seen quite a few having problems using the same handle for both.

To stop the head warping I have two alternative approaches. 

1. Put sticks along the jaw line (two sticks angled along both edges of the face), meeting at the chin. The idea is to reduce warping from the neck affecting the head as much. Sticks are useful for this - it reduces bending, so the neck will flex instead of the face itself.

2. Make the head independent. The are other side effects of this, but it guarantees the warping of the body/neck will never affect the face shape. You draw the neck up behind the body a bit so the head has something to attach to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the response. The sticks definitely helped. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better. Making the head independent had some very weird side effects, as you mentioned. Also, separating the head and neck handles, and positioning as you described made the problem much worse for me, so maybe I did something wrong? Either way, thank you again for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue also thank you for the help :P...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Putting handles on the jawline definitely helped.  I also switch the "Behavior Interaction" setting to "Override," but this doesn't work well if you're wanting to customize the animation while they walk, like if they're walking and talking and stuff.  If all they're doing is walking, "Override" does it perfectly.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting, I'll have to try the "override" thing next time and see if that helps. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have another deep theory of puppet design. If you got something working as you like, don't touch it!  ðŸ˜‰

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines