• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

First character rig has problems - neck won't move, head wobbles, and mouth talks when there's no noise

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just learning Character Animator, and truthfully, there are still a lot of factors and features in character rigging that I have yet to learn or understand (The video tutorials I could find seem to cover the basics more than the in-depth stuff).  I took a PSD of my YouTube persona I'd originally drawn up to use in Live2D but abandoned when I wasn't satisfied with that program's tweened mouth animations, retooled and renamed the layers to match the Blank Face template, and tested it out during a recent stream.  However, I've noticed three big problems that I have yet to figure out:

-I'm unsure how to have the neck move and be dependent on the head movement.  I saw videos saying to put the neck in the same layer as the rest of the static body and somehow manipulate just the neck part to move, but I can't figure out how, so the head often moves completely off the neck and body.

-The head seems to jiggle and wobble slightly and constantly a bit too much; dunno if this is something I can adjust in Character Animator or just a problem with my webcam.

-The lip sync seems odd in that it often makes some open-mouth shapes when there's silence other than some controller button presses (My capture card gets the game audio but my actual TV is muted, stuff at home that makes background noise is turned off, and Character Animator is set to receive audio through a high quality Yeti mic).

I'm hoping I can get some tips on fixing these problems, particularly the static neck.  Here's a video compilation I made showing all these problems:
characteranimator_weirdface.mp4 - Google Drive

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thx for video. That helps.

- In the Face behavior properties have a look for Head Position Strength and reduce that to like 5% or even 0. That might keep head with body better.

- If you want head movements to move body, because your neck is a bit tall, you could try and turn the independent layer off for Head and see how that looks. Use sticks across shoulders and along jaw line so they do not flex. That should encourage neck to bend more.

- The webcam does jiggle a bit. You can try to improve the lighting on your face to see if that helps. There are also some pose hold properties you can play with in case they help. The idea is it holds one position, then moves to next positiin and holds that for a while, etc.

- The lipsync I would experiment a bit with. Make a recording and play it back in CH and look at the visemes it’s creating. Does it give a hint why the o shaped mouth positions? Play the sound back or look st the wave form to see if it gives any clues. eg there is a Surprised expression that is picked up from the webcam (not audio). So if the viseme is called surprised rather than Oh, you might need to reset pose before recording.

other points

- On the video the audio was not synced well with the video. If using OBS there are delay settings you might like to experiment with to try and get them synced up better.

- The glasses looked like there was a stuck handle that did not move with the head. If you turn the mesh icon in (bottom of scene panel) you will see lots of yellow triangles, As you move, a part will not be moving. Work out what handle is at the part that does not move,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines