• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting a lot of lag when using layer heavy animations? Switch to solid state hard drives!

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After suffering a corrupted master boot recod on my pc's main hard drive, I decided to buy a new one so I could recover my files from the old one before reformatting.

I chose a pair of solid state hard drives this time around and find myself in awe.  I should have switched long ago.  Making changes with states and layers that would normally take 30 seconds or more is now done in an instant.  I have several characters and animations that have thousands of layers and sometimes you need to change the state of several hundred layers at once, solid state drives make this so much easier.

Solid state drives are quite inexpensive now, if you can afford it then spoil yourself.  This change is now saving me several hours per project.

TOPICS
Bugs , Freeze or hang , Rigging , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you're seeing such a performance improvements. Solid state drives are definitely the way to go for creative work these days. Something like Character Animator, whose project structure is actually a database with hundreds or thousands of small files will really benefit from a SSD. Large, single files can transfer at relatively quickly speeds on a slower drive, but there's a lot of overhead when reading and writing lots of files, so Character Animator especially will benefit from a SSD. You can even go one step further then next time you upgrade and get a NVMe drive. It looks like a stick of gum and connects directly to your motherboard for the fastest connection possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines