• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Handle unknown after changing layers (Character Animator)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I changed the order of the layers of my puppet in Illustrator (move his arms above his body instead of under) after recording all the movements in CA. However, now all handles are unknown and my puppet doesn't move his arms anymore. Is there a way to (a) get my old version back, or (b) connect handles to the already made movements, so I don't have to record every move again?

Thanks in advance!

Eva

TOPICS
Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

In general, any major structural changes you do can unfortunately remove rigging if CH can't find the relevant layers anymore. I usually save any heavy duty rigging until I'm pretty happy with the artwork structure. I can always add small things (glasses, shoes, colors, etc), but things like moving major parts around can cause problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the history panel, you can go back to the previous step from incorparate external edits and then undo your last edits in photosop and save. you can also do some layer order changes in CA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Where can I find the history panel? I've searched for it, but can't find. Sorry, I'm a beginner...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here:
Ekran Resmi 2021-03-16 18.06.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general, any major structural changes you do can unfortunately remove rigging if CH can't find the relevant layers anymore. I usually save any heavy duty rigging until I'm pretty happy with the artwork structure. I can always add small things (glasses, shoes, colors, etc), but things like moving major parts around can cause problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be great @oksamurai  if we could reconnect those by defining the missing handle. Maybe a right click - define handle. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this program but this is a little agrivating. I missed when my puppets eyebrows "detached" and have done so much more since then that the History fix is of not of use. I am by no means a coder but the Takes within the handle seem to know who they belong to so a "Find My Handle" option would be fantabulous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great feedback. Agreed, this would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines