• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help. Cant open puppets, constant error messages. Is Character Animator just not ready yet...?

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea where to even begin, but using the "tutorial," I made my own puppet, did the "swapping" out with a blank puppet template. Saved the file. Come back an hour later, can't even open it. What a complete waste of 4+ hours this software has been.

Screenshot 2021-12-29 171307.pngScreenshot 2021-12-29 171442.png

TOPICS
Bugs , How to , Puppet movement

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's backtrack a little. When you say you can't open puppets, you can't open any puppet, including blank?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't open puppets after saving them. I keep getting error "nil" messages. I have re-isntalled the software again. Here in a nutshell is what is happening. 

1. I create a new Project.

2. I import the "Blank" puppet template.

3. I make aesthetic changes to said puppet in Illustrator, and it updates in real time.

4. I go do something else, close both programs. Save all the work in the original file locations and make no other changes.

5. Open Character illustrator back up to continue to work and receive error upon error message. Sometimes even causes my computer to freeze and forces a restart of the program. 

Seems like poor software... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So it sounds like you're saying that each time, the template opens up for you, and after you make changes, the auto save file isn't opening up? Is that accurate? I'm trying to nail down exactly what is happening. Here's what's supposed to be happening:

You open the template in either Photoshop or Illustrator. You make your changes there. Then you open CH and create a new project (if you're not already in one). In the new project, you import the puppet file. (Is this where the error is happening?) From that point on, all saving should be automatic and each time you open the program, it should be where you last left off.

If you're getting errors where I think you're getting errors, then we should probably start with the PSD or AI file that you're using. Please upload it via dropbox or any other file sharing program and we can take a look to see if anyone is getting the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines