• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP -- just lost 8 hours of work. I don't understand how file saving works

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain how files are saved and how to avoid losing work.  I tried to save the file, but it said it's always saved.

I thought it a good idea to save a new version so I could test out some things without losing what I had already done so I "Saved Project as" with a new name.

I expected that new version to be identical to the previous one, but it turned out to be missing pretty much everything I had added today.  So I went back to the original file, and it too was missing EVERYTHING I had done today.  i.e. hours of work!  Can someone explain to me what the right way is to save files so that this doesn't happen again?

Thank you.

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear you lost work, though I'm hoping the work is actually still there — it's almost impossible to lose work unless your hard disk is corrupted, or you save over existing Photoshop or Illustrator artwork (from within those apps). In Character, everything you do can be undone (or redone).

You are correct that doing File > Save Project As will create a new project that is identical in content to the old one, with the exception that the history (in the History panel) will be cleared out.

Maybe you accidentally jumped to a history state from eight hours ago? If you did the Save Project As in that state, indeed the new project would have none of your recent work, but you should still be able to open the old project and get back to your latest state — the history is retained even after you quit. If you ever hit Save, those states will show up in the top of the history panel. But even if you didn't, you can get back to any state using Auto-saved versions, which are shown by checking this option in the History panel:

CoSA_DaveS_0-1618618220392.png

If you go back to the original project and look in the History panel, what do you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, when using Auto-saved versions, you may see ones named something like "Record Performance + 6 redos". The "N redos" part means that if you pick that state, the History panel will have N states that had previously been undone. You can then click on any of them to return to that state (or hit cmd-shift-Z to redo each change one-by-one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines