• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I avoid distortion at waist and feet when walking?

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm rigging up 2 puppets but am having trouble with an area around the waist distorting up and down at a point when they walk. One of them also distorts at the feet when walking and i'm not sure why because it's rigged up exactly the same as the other puppet which looks fine. I've tried adding horizontal stick tool lines which does help but doesn't fix the issue. I've just uploaded the 1 puppet that has both of the issues, if anyone could take a look i'd really appreciate it 🙂

SM Puppet Google Drive Link 

UnstableFocus_0-1674486981753.png

UnstableFocus_1-1674487000394.png

TOPICS
Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Like this?

SM_Puppet_-_hop_AdobeExpress.gif

 

1. Change the attach style from "Weld" to "Free" on "Left Quarter," "Frontal," and "Right Quarter" layers

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 8.09.58 AM.png

2. Uncheck foot pinning from Walk behavior

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 8.10.53 AM.png

For the leg/feet distortion, I suggest putting a longer stick handle going from the knee area to the end of the heel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the application destination of  limb IK to arms only.

Thank You.

limb_ik.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yeah, that works! What happens if i want to drag my characters around though? I was thinking of having limb IK on arms and legs in case i wanted to make them able to jump and squat, although maybe motion library would work for that. I know there is 1 scene i will need one of them to be on their knees but i guess i might need to use transforms for that or draggers.

I still have the problem with the waist distorting when walking though, do you know how i can fix that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently it is difficult to combine walking and jumping in one puppet.
I think it would be simpler and easier to use a swap set to switch between each puppet.

Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this?

SM_Puppet_-_hop_AdobeExpress.gif

 

1. Change the attach style from "Weld" to "Free" on "Left Quarter," "Frontal," and "Right Quarter" layers

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 8.09.58 AM.png

2. Uncheck foot pinning from Walk behavior

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 8.10.53 AM.png

For the leg/feet distortion, I suggest putting a longer stick handle going from the knee area to the end of the heel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that definitely helps! Am I correct in thinking i still have to disable leg ik to turn the walk behaviour back on? Otherwise the feet distort again, even with a longer stick. And does this grabbable behaviour also only work with arm and leg IK on (and motion library off, otherwise i get huge distortions)? Still have the waist distortion as well unfortunately. I'm wondering whether it might be better to pay someone to finish rigging for me at this point as it's for a wedding proposal so I can only work on it when my partner isn't here and i'm running out of time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you did everything I listed? On my end, the puppet works fine walking and hopping.

Here's a link to my version https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/82a0f81d-a13b-4d32-600b-777f0b0c717c

If you have additional distortion concerns, please post screenshots/captures again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I thought I did but I must have done something wrong, that works nicely! Thank you. I will mess with the waist some more and see if I can fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines