• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I create a transparent background in Character Animator?

Enthusiast ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a few seconds of a puppet saying a few things in a transparent background. 

This is so I can export the video to my video editing software and I can add a few other things to show as background. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elindo,

Go to "File" menu and skip down to "Export".You can Export your video using the "Video with Alpha via Adobe Media Encoder". This creates an .mov video file where anything left blank (black) in CH is rendered and transparent. Bring the .mov file into your video editing s/w and there you are. I do this all the time.

Be well fellow puppeteer. - Platty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason that only gave a black recording screen and sound. 

I got a puppet with a black background.  the recording is only about 5 seconds, and it only shows a black screen with the sound. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparentely it does work on premier pro. 

I didn't see anything from Camtasia when I imported the .mov file.  Only the sound with a black screen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elindo,

Hmmm, that is strange. Some programs might have a problem with .mov with an alpha channel.

However, when you say black background, do you mean the black (unfilled) background of the CH scene? That should render as transparent. If you have created a black background for CH, then all bets are off.

I have done this several times with CH and Premier Pro.

It appers that you want your cartoon character to be placed over a video. Is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, step 1 really should be "what program are you going to use and does it support transparency or chroma-keying". Adobe supports transparency, but many other apps do not unfortunately. Some do support chromakey instead of transparency (drop a green background behind character in scene). You might also be able to export as PNG Sequence then load all the images up one by one in Camtasia (egad!). 12 fps x 5 seconds = 60 PNG files. Doable, but painful!!! (And assumes Camtasia supports transparency in PNG files, and you can make a PNG file appear for one frame...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course you can create the video with Camtasia, export a video file, then load into Adobe Prem Pro to add the Puppet on the top...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG that is my animation and what is funny, I FORGOT how I did this hahahaha been long time since I worked in CH. Follow my artwork on Mauihalia.com and yes I will be making more videos. I need to learn how to use my hands in these animations. Plus NFTʻs coming soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

if you make the backround green. then use it as a green srceen and remove in editing software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines