• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I save changes I made to puppet in CH to PSD?

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made several changes to my puppet while in CH such as making left and right profiles. But now when I want to edit in PS, it's not updated. Is there a way to do that so my changes are also updated in PS.

TOPICS
FAQ , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Just to confirm, you made the left and right profiles inside of Character Animator by duplicating and repositioning layers, and you want that to reflect back in the PSD?

If so, unfortunately, you'll need to do the work again because the link is one way from Photoshop > Character Animator, not the other way around. It's much slower to make puppet edits inside of CH and you should always be updating art inside of PS or AI. The duplicates you made in CH (again, if that's what you ended up doing)

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file CH is using is specified in the first property for the puppet. If you single click on the puppet file it will show the path name to the file over in the properties panel. I am guessing you are editing a different psd file to the original. Otherwise i don't understand how you can be creating new profiles. CH just edits psd files on disk, but sometimes it makes a copy (e.g. when you import a puppet file)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm, you made the left and right profiles inside of Character Animator by duplicating and repositioning layers, and you want that to reflect back in the PSD?

If so, unfortunately, you'll need to do the work again because the link is one way from Photoshop > Character Animator, not the other way around. It's much slower to make puppet edits inside of CH and you should always be updating art inside of PS or AI. The duplicates you made in CH (again, if that's what you ended up doing) are just references of the art from PS. You can see this in action by doing something like changing the color of a layer in PS and watching it update on all of your profiles back in CH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that is what I was referring to. I was somewhat relieved that when I update items in PS, it doesn't override the duplicates I've made in CH. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The one-way editing is actually a very important thing to know, especially for those new to CH, or Adobe overall where Dynamic Link is touted--it's easy to assume incorrectly that if you subscribe to CC, every app will work two ways, seamlessly with every other app. I found out about this by finding these posts, not seeing it in the User Guide or tutorials.

I'm not sure what to do if I start sharing rigged body parts between characters by copying and pasting in CH. Can I then never go into PS to edit these hybrid characters?

It might be a worthwhile feature to add a "Generate New PSD or AI File from Puppet" button or make it an option as part of the "Duplicate" button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines