• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get 2 legs working independent ?

Enthusiast ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See pictures below.

I added bones and draggable parts for kneess, feet.

I see the program only has "legs" for the option of selection.  What if I want to move right leg or left leg indepdendently?  How do I do that?

The draggable knees or feet are moving BOTH of the legs at the same time and it isn't letting me adding a crown for indpendent movments. 

How can I make the charater just lift the right knee for example? 

TOPICS
Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one is a bit fun (but solvable).

I would suggest having two separate layers, one per leg. I would make the waist and hips a part of the torso layer. Then the leg attach point should be set to where the ball joint of the leg joins the body in real life. If you use separate layers per leg, moving one leg will not move the other any more.

(You can get it to work with a single layer, but its a lot more work and I think the above is a better approach.)

Personally, I would also consider not using independence for the legs unless you feel it looks better. I often use sticks to limit warping instead. E.g. put a stick across the bottom of the hips near where the legs join the body, so leg movements don't warp the body. But in this case, because you don't want the coat to move, independent legs might be the right solution. (If you do want the coat to warp with the leg, then independent legs is the wrong approach.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see.

I would need different layers if I want independent legs. 

What I am looking to do is to lift a knee without having much effect on the other leg.

I guess given that the legs are a single layer I could reposition the other leg in case I want it to stick in a certain place.

Could you tell me how to fix the extra stretching from the puppet when I move the legs?  I added a bone structure but it still looking like rubber on the movements. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sticks can reduce movement, not eliminate. And it's trial and error! To eliminate, you need two separate layers for legs and make them independent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines