• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do I Get the NDI Plug-in to Work with Character Animator or any Adobe Program on Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm using a Windows 10 machine and am trying to livestream with Character Animator but I can't get any of my Adobe programs to recognize the NDI Tools I have installed. I could have popsted this on the Creative Cloud forums, but since my end goal is to use the NDI tools for livestreaming from Character Animator, I thought this seeme diked the right place.

I found people with a similar issue on this forum thread. It suggested uninstalling NDI and then downloading and installing After Effects or Premiere Pro. Then, it suggested redownloading NDI and running the NDI tool for Premiere or AE, which should then make NDI appear in other apps as well. I followed these instructions for AE. When I open the NDI tool for AE, it opens AE, but when I go to Edit>Preferences>Video Preview, I don't see NDI as one of the options (see image below).

The other forum also had someone suggest testing if NDI was working using Test Patterns. I opened Test Patterns and it seemed to work, though I'm not sure if I needed to do anything more than open it.

I'm sure this is probably user error, but I'm just not sure how to problem slove this any further. I poked around on the NDI site to see if there's any way to email them, but I had no luck finding contact info.

If anyone has any suggestions or could just point me in the right direction, I'd be super appreciative. Have a great day!

Screenshot 2021-09-04 174626.png

TOPICS
Dynamic link , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the numerous typos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to check enable Mercury Transport. Also, one thing you will need to do every time you want to use NDI is to make sure that the Webcam Input program is running (inside the NDI tools folder in your start menu). Once it (and CH) is running, right click on the NDI icon that is now on your task bar and make sure that the CH source is selected. Then when that is working correctly, you can select your NDI source in your streaming program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings TheOriginalGC,

Thank you so much for answering another one of my posts!

I wasn't able to fix my problem quite yet, but I feel like your advice has definitely got me closer to the solution. I opened NDI and double-clicked the Webcam Input Program. It didn't appear to do anything, and I was wondering if it wasn't working until I noticed the NDI icon in my task bar. I right clicked that, but I didn't see an After Effects or CH source as an option, instead only seeing DESKTOP-GODR2CI and None. In After Effects, I enabled Merucry Transmit, but I'm still only seeing the three video devices listed in the original screen capture.

If there's any other stuff I can try to make it work or any other advice, I'd love to hear it. Once again, thank you for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't have to do anything with After Effects or Premiere. Close them. In CH, click on the streaming tab. Click on Edit > Prefernces and select Live Output. From there, make sure Enable Mercury Transport is checked and in Video Device, select NDI output. If everything is done correctly, you should see Character Animator as your source when you right-click on the NDI icon in your taskbar. Then you can select NDI as your source in your streaming software,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After having done all that several times and absolutly to the letter, I am still at the point where Character Animator happily sees NDI, but NDI keeps ignoring the Character Animator completly. Like a one way conversation. What can be the problem there. I have another computer running where I did the exact same steps and there was no problem whatsoever. ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's odd that one computer works perfectly while another does not. I have not been using NDI for very long so I cannot even guess as to what could be the reason behind this. I wish I could offer an answer, but I am stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some time back I had a weird NDI problem on Mac where the hostname caused me a problem. On Mac is used the bonjour protocol to advertise its existence, and the NDI code failed if the hostname had a "." in it. Renaming the host made it appear. If you can find that thread on the forums it might have something useful... (gotta run just now)... but it was on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am at the exact same point as you are for some time now...  Except now after reinstalling everything, Ch will no longer even see NDI in the "Live Output" box.....   This is quite unverving.  I am having this issue in an HP Elitedesk mini with Intel parts and also with a video editing PC I built with AMD parts.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bear in mind that I have not updated NDI recently, but I did run a test just to see if it was compatable with the current version of CH. I went through the steps described above and I successfully got my avatar working in Microsoft Teams by selecting NDI as my camera source. I didn't try Zoom, but it should work there as well since Zoom has been more reliable for me. Let's start with your preferences and Live Output. What are you seeing? Can you share a screen grab?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In a Windows 10 environment, you can not only install
In addition to installing Adobe Character Animator, try installing Adobe Premiere Pro or Adobe Premiere Rush at the same time.

I have seen reports of NDI video output appearing in Adobe Character Animator as well. Please give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines