• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you synch character movements to videos when you can't import them?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create videos in PP from images and video clips and then have a puppet narrate them. Is there a way I can produce the puppet animation in front of the video so that they are pointing to the right parts of the slides?

See https://youtu.be/Fy7Rfxbzjig

TOPICS
Dynamic link , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, but there is a feature request if you would like to add your vote for it. Best idea I can suggest if you want accurate pointing is in PP work out the key frames you want to point at, export that single frame, note the position in time, then import that frame into CH as a background. Yes, a pain.  

Another idea i have never tried - export from PP as a image (png) sequence via media encoder, but see if you can make it speed up video or something so it only exports one frame every 2 seconds of the original video. Then load those frames into a cycles layers in ch. Hopefully that will not put too much load on ch.

The other way to do it is using Dynaimc Link. You can drag the Ch scene into After Effects and it will overlay the puppet on top of a video. It can get sluggish, but it does work. Each time you update the scene, it will update in after effects. With your small simple puppet it might work acceptably. (I rarely use it myself as on my computer it is just too slow to be usable.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sincere apologies for not thanking you earlier. I'm staggered that this isn't an issue for more people. I've tried the png sequence work-around but it takes a lot of time and tons of duplicate space. I will certainly try the After Effects dynamic link wheeze although I'm a novice to AE having only ever used it to export with alpha. That's the thing with Adobe, you start with photoshop and next thing you're shovelling cash at them for ever more apps.

Still, it's fun.

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just import your Ch movie intro Premiere. In premiere you can easily place, cut, and edit your character on top of your video. When you import the actual scene from your Ch file it dynamically links. I find it easy to move and edit parts of my character to sync up exactly. And you could always go back to Ch and make an update... and when you go back into Premiere... BOOM - its updated! The amazing part is going to Photoshop, updating your character and pressing save, and then it updates your animation in CH and Updates the movie linked in Pr giving you a LOT of control. I think its pretty awesome. After effects can be used in the same way, but this would be to add tracking or effects.... for editing Premiere is the tool to use, and its less of a space hog then AE too!

Hope that helps!
have fun!

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mark,

I am trying to do something similar. 

I want to have two puppets (one in angry mode and the other normal) and a video playing. These puppets would make comments about the video that is playing. I am having a hard time thinking how to best do this having in mind the two puppets. 

How would you do it?

Best,

Miguel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just animate your puppets in Ch, you an animate them on separate timelines or the same. And then just import both scenes (both characters) intro Adobe Premiere and place them, scale them, and set up the scenes where you want them to be on top of your video (obviously you would bring your video into Premiere as well with characters placed on top)

So you are animating the characters in Ch, but placing those animations to start wherever you want to it matches with your video.

Hope that makes sense!

Cheers,

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds simple and straight foward. I am also teaching myself how to use the program thorught this project! Thank you for your reply, I will share my final product once I finish it! 

Thank you Mark,

Miguel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ha. Well I guess its sort of simple IF you know Photoshop, Character Animator and Premiere!

the big trick is NOT to export your character animator project... just import it into Premiere so it is dynamically linked... then its so powerful, and you can make real-time adjustments and edits to sync everything up. It is relatively easy. And super fun to see it all coming together!

Would love to see it! Enjoy the process!

cheers,

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mark, I will have to give this method a try.

Platty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are welcome! Sort of nice how this one question seems to helping a few of you!

All the best everyone! have fun creating!

best,

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out my first animation! I want to learn triggers and rigging. I am feeling overwhelm by the amount of information one must know about this programs. I google everything, used Samurai youtube channel, a forums. I really liked the end product. My workflow was Illustrator, photoshop, character animator, after effects and last premier hahaha. It was really fun and full of work. I will continue to do more videos using my characters and illustrations. Thank you adobe team!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good job man! So looks like you might have been able to skip photoshop and create your characters in Illustrator since you were already using that for the background art. 

And looks like you didnt need to use After Effects? I didnt see any special effects or anything?

Some things to consider... you might want to use 1080p resolution so the video fits in YouTube and you don't have the black margins on each side.

Another simple thing is when in Premiere.. you can check the audio to see how loud it is. Sounds like one character is a LOT louder then the other. You can check the audio levels one at a time but either clicking the "S" to let of timeline for "Soloing" so its the ONLY audio to be played... or you can click "M" to mute an audio track. Then you can see the audio levels on the right hand side of the timeline. 

And lastly I think moving eyebrows and a 3 frame animated blink really help bring characters to life!

Have fun! Nice work.

best,

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really helpful, thanks. I'll use this method on my next project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome! You're so welcome Maanky. 

Its so nice that a few responses have helped a bunch of you. Looking forward to seeing all the great stuff you create!

This was my most recent Character Animator Project.  I even duplicated my character sequence in Premiere to add a drop shadow!

https://www.headtrixtraining.com/headTrix.com/Clients/Mindology-Fitness/index.htm

And with your new Premiere skills you can expand to other types of projects too.

Here is something I created while staying with a wealthy friend in NY.

https://youtu.be/FiexWRt-Tog

And here is a trailer for a new podcast!

https://youtu.be/xAbrCnjqUWU

Adobe apps are SOO fun!! 

I love being creative! Hope you enjoy it too!

Cheers everyone!

Best,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines