• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to animate rotating wheel with keyframe?

Engaged ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to keyframe rotation to gain a faster or slower speed for a wheel?

I set the rotation at zero point, then after 1 seconds to -300 degree. The result was the wheel moved forward (to the left direction) with a moderate speed. I want to make it faster, so I changed the duration to half a second (6th frame of 12fps), but the wheel moved backward instead (to the right direction) with a slower speed.

How do I solve this?

TOPICS
FAQ , Feature requests , How to , Puppet movement , Rigging , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eben,

I was intriqued with your question and set about making my own wheel rotate along the bottom of the scene. Are you working with both the "Rotation" and the "Position X" parameters in the "Transform" behavior?. From where I see it, all you need to do is adjust both parameters until the wheel looks like it is in contact with the ground and roling along.

Be well fellow puppeteer - Platty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey fellow puppeteer Platty:D

Thanks for responding mate.

Yes, I play with both the Rotation and Position X value in the Transform behavior.

It is on the ground, the only problem is the speed and direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is curious - no idea why it changed directions! Maybe have a look at the rotation value as you play the sequence (maybe advance frame by frame to see it clearly) - is it going from 0 to -300? Or did something change it to +60 for example (so it went from 0 to +60 instead)? Watching the actual value of the rotation property might give a hint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the value is consistent to -300 but moved the other way than intended. Probably Ch is using autopilot in this case (assuming -300 is the same with +60). So how do I solve this?

For my scene, thankfully it's just a short movement so it won't be noticable.

But what if I want to animate like 10 seconds of rotating wheel consistently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i wonder what happens if you use 3000 - does it rotate many times to get there? My fear is you may need to specify say 3 keyframes per wheel rotation (e.g. 0 then -120 then -240 then -360 in your example, so each rotation is less than 180. This is so the shortest path is always the direction you want the wheel to go)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Haven't try it yet. But I will. Thanks Alank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(If I had to guess, its either the keyframing has a missing or extra frame value in there for the start and end values, or CH is trying to be "clever" sometimes and it knows -300 is the same as +60 in the real world and is "helping" you by adjusting your settings.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines