• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import animation tracks into a project?

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm working on a Ch project with two characters. We are recording performances on two separate computers and want to take the audio and animation tracks from one project and import them into the other to use as a master. So, ideally we have one project with two characters, each with a full set of triggers and animations. However I can't figure out how to import these tracks. I can import scenes, but if I do that I don't have independent control over the animation for each character. I want to be able to fine tune and fix flubs, etc.

Does this make sense? Basically, I have a master project with two characters, I just want to import the animation data for each character into it. So I end up with one project, 2 characters, a full suite of controls for each, and the performances we did live.

Thanks for your help!

Jeffrey

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t think you can import recordings in one project into another project.

What you can do is use dynamic linking to bring the two separate projects into AE or Prem Pro I suspect, or export videos with transparency so you can overlay them. Basically don’t use CH to merge them - use something else.

But what you are trying to do is a good idea - there is a suggestions link at the top of the forum home page. This one might be worth raising there. It might have to import a whole project, not sure (to make sure the right puppets etc are also loaded).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that's too bad, but thanks for your response.

If I combine them in AE or Pr, will I still be able to edit the animation? Since they are two characters meant to be in conversation, their animations need to in sync, as if they are reacting. It would be much easier if I could see the actions (tracks? bars?) together in one timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Having multiple puppets in a scene interacting is straightforward. However you started the thread saying you wanted to do the two recordings on different machines. How were you planning to keep them in sync if editing on different computers? You need to bring the files eventually over to the one machine to merge them.

What I think is more common is to create the puppets on separate computers, then the second computer does an “export puppet” where you bring the puppet over to the first computer (no recordings, just the puppet... hmmm, I wonder if replays will be included in the puppet which might allow you to bring simple recordings across). You can then animate both puppets in the same scene together, getting all the synchronization and positioning done together. I suspect this will save effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines