• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make something move in a linear straight motion?

Enthusiast ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to use character animator to animate objects. 

In this case I want to animate a hydraulic cylinder.  (see attached picture below) 

I can draw the cylinder in illustrator and send it to character animator. 

As fluid comes in or out of either side of the cylinder, the rod end of the cylinder encircled en red moves in or out of the body of the cylinder. 

Using Character Animator, what do you think is the best way to create a perfect straight line motion of the cylinder rod moving in or out of the cylinder body? 

Next we can do 3 x stuff..  for those who already thinking about it... 

cylinder 1.JPG

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would draw the cylinder perfectly horizontal. I would group all the artwork layers under a root "+MyFunkyPart" layer. I would draw the rod as a separate layer and put a "+" at the start of the layer name ("+Rod"). I would then add a "Transform" behavior to the Rod layer in the rigging panel. Because its horizontal, use keyframes etc to adjust the Position X value of the Rod - I think that will move it relative to the rest of the device. You can apply a root transform to the overall cylinder to put it on an angle and the Rod should rotate with it all fine.

+MyFunkyPart

Cylinder

+Rod -- add Transform behavior to move it relative to rest of part.

If you need to add tubes or something for fluids, I would use say 4 layers showing movement along the pipe. You put the 4 stages of animation in a group and add a Cycle Layers behavior to the group. That will how the 4 frames, animating movement along the pipe. You could make the pipes a part of the cylinder part if you want to, so they join on. You could put draggers on the end of the pipe (or use a Transform behavior on the ends of the pipe) to position them. Not sure what the full story you are trying to achieve is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines