How to not record Multiple Head Turn Triggers in Timeline?

New Here ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made a character that has multiple head turns, and for each one of those head turns I have assigned familiar triggers. For example-On each head turn "Q" is a trigger for blink. However when I record, it will trigger the blink function for each individual head turn, making it very hard to edit. What am I doing wrong here? All the head turns are independent and they are all on a swapset.Ch .png

TOPICS
How to , Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing you've created head turns for several different body poses?

If so, when you are hitting the trigger, it is recording 5 triggers on the timeline - for what you expected to appear once.

The better way, in my experience, is to either have a single head folder (with head turner nested inside) - and use triggers for the different body poses. Or, turn your head folder (with turner) into a shared asset and apply it to each body pose. 

When I built the first 'Flat Pack' puppets (@ ElectroPuppet.com) I built them with shared heads so that head turner could be used on front, 3/4 and walk views. For some reason these puppets became really slow to animate - so I started from scratch and made puppets with a single head turner with different bodies and a fixed head for walk views;

https://www.electropuppet.com/adobe-character-animator-puppet-store/flat-pack-casuals/

What you have created must have been a hell of a lot of work, assigning all those triggers for every head view - and then for each body. I've been there and feel your pain! But if my guess is correct, you really need to simplify. The quickest way to learn is really to copy the structure of a working puppet - because this can get complex to try and explain in a post.

Anyway - hope that helps!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing if you want to experiment (I normally export puppet then reimport it to get a copy) is I suspect you have 5 triggers all using the "Q" key. I wonder if you can pick say the frontal profile triggers, then for all the other profiles drag the layer over the trigger for frontal. You should end up with the "Q" trigger showing many layers at once in it. (I am guessing at the moment you have 5 triggers for "Q"). Once you do this, delete all the other triggers.

If you have swapsets, I think you will end up with one swapset for Frontal and all the others empty (after you delete all the empty triggers). You can then delete all the empty triggers and swap sets.

Smidio's advice is more reliable - he has done it all! I mention the above in case it is acceptable but less rework. Might be worth trying on one trigger for example. I have not tried it myself, but I *think* should work. But I have no idea about performance.

Including a screenshot of your puppet hierarchy in rigging could help. Also showing the Q trigger(s) could be helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, I was going to say I bet you could delete lots of those takes assuming the head is pointing in one direction at a time, but it sounds like a pain to work out which ones are safe to delete and which are not. (I guess you can view, delete one by one until you delete the wrong one, then undo, and keep going. Sounds like a pain, but would simplify the timeline without changing the puppet.)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines