Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Rig Settings in Character Animator

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have got multiple puppets, more or less of the same size and structure. It has got quite a few rigging items that took a day for me to complete. Now, I was wondering if there was a way I could port the rigging setting and apply it to the other puppets. Since the structure and size of all the puppets are identical, the rigs would exactly map on to the same position on the rest of the puppets as the first one.

Has someone tried something like this?

TOPICS
How to , Puppet movement , Rigging , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never tried anything like that and I can't think of anything that wouldn't take the same amount of time (if not longer) to implement. Naturally, the puppetmaker puppets come pre-rigged, but I do not know how those are created. I will see if I can find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Adobe website: "The authoring experience is currently quite complicated, and is only recommended for expert Character Animator puppet creators in its current iteration. We hope to make this process easy for everyone in the future." 

Currently, only people selected by Adobe have access to Puppet Maker creation. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question has got nothing to do with puppet maker. I have created all the puppets myself and rigged one of them, I just want to copy the same rig to other puppets. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I suggested, puppet maker might have been the solution to your dilemma since the puppets are pre-rigged. If it were possible, I would set up the parts as a custom template in puppet maker, but as I mentioned, that is not an option, so I do not have an answer for you. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm.. Got it. I will have to do it the hard way it seems 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try exporting the original puppet under a new name. Then take the new artwork and make sure ALL layers are still named the same (just saved under a new file name) Then import the new puppet (still rigged) and point it to the new art work. I think as long as the layers in the new artwork have the exact same layer names as the original puppet artwork that might do it? I have used that method for recolours with some success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am giving this a try, however, I am not sure how you point the puppet to the new artwork. Appreciate the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

from the Adobe page:

Relink or replace a puppet's source artwork

When a puppet is selected in the Project or opened in the Puppet panel, the Puppet section of the Properties panel shows the path for the source artwork and the tooltip shows the full path. If the artwork file cannot be found, the file name appears in yellow, with the tooltip prefix with Missing.

To relink or replace the source artwork, click the file name in the Properties panel, then select the artwork file to use.
or the okay samurai video version (starts at 5:11)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pgm_u4VkQk

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course. I remember this one. Thanks a lot. I think this can work. I will give it a try and get back with my observations. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think this is possible.You cant export the rigging, but you can IMPORT your other puppets. As long as they are all named correctly, you could simply do a save as to create a new file, and then duplicate the puppet, and rename it. And then click on the puppet in Rig mode, and on the right you will see a link to the .psd, you can swap out a new puppet, and it should take on all characterstics of old puppet. Things will shift if their bodies and faces are in different spots.... but you should be able to tweak it.

Hope that helps!
mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I'm new and excited about creating. I also want to keep my puppet rigging and just swap out characters but don't fully understand your instructions. Can you please provide more in detail guidance? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines