• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing assets Basic Sizing Questions

Engaged ,
Apr 21, 2019 Apr 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a Character Animator video for 1920x1080. I am creating titles and artwork in Illustrator.

1. Should I make the artboards 1920x1080 for titles and other artwork that will be imported into a 1920x1080 Character Animator file, or does it not matter?

Can a title that only takes up a small portion of a 1920x1080 size that is made in Illustrator be sized up or down in Character Animator, or is that a bad idea?

2. Does Character Animator keep the Illustrator file as vector or does it convert it to bitmap on import?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2019 Apr 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is a vector format (as you probably know). CH can keep it in vector format, right up until rendering, but some Illustrator features (advanced gradients etc) will then not work.

I never quite worked out what it all means, but I normally go with puppets of 6000pt in Illustrator so they can scale down nicely (including the advanced features) with less concern for jagged edges. Note that I said 6000pt, not pixels. I set it to “high resolution”.

Photoshop is another story, but I *think* the resolution does not matter too much in illustrator. My main concern is a lower pixel count may have greater error factors when scaling coordinates, so I always prefer to start big and scale down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you set it to 6000pt? Do you mean when setting up the document/artboard you set it to points and not pixels? If so, why not pixels?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I set the dpi to “high”, so 6000pt I think plus, umm, 300(?) dpi would mean a heck of a lot of pixels. Because its vector my theory is it would not matter, but the higher resolution should scale more accurately. That was my thinking anyway! CH then scales and renders to bitmap (I don’t use the render as vector mode).  If CH/AI uses integer arithmetic (likely) for pixels, starting with 1920 pixels and scaling by non-powers of two I was afraid would introduce too many rounding errors.

Real lesson may be going big for AI (not PSD) might not hurt anything as CH will just scale it down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines